Wiki wizard help?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I'd like to try formatting the bugs list (84_open_items) on the wiki for
organizing getting these issues fixed (or dismissed as non-issues).
Something like the commifest template would be useful, but not exactly the
same.

Sections should be "Pending Issues", "Resolved Issues", and "Rejected
Issues".  Columns should be "Issue", "Status", "Reporter", "Assigned To"

Otherwise, it'll work the same way the CF page does.

Could anyone set this up this week?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> Sections should be "Pending Issues", "Resolved Issues", and "Rejected
> Issues".  Columns should be "Issue", "Status", "Reporter", "Assigned To"

Oh, and "Date"

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Re: Wiki wizard help?

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I'd like to try formatting the bugs list (84_open_items) on the wiki for
> organizing getting these issues fixed (or dismissed as non-issues).
> Something like the commifest template would be useful, but not exactly the
> same.

> Sections should be "Pending Issues", "Resolved Issues", and "Rejected
> Issues".  Columns should be "Issue", "Status", "Reporter", "Assigned To"

Why do we need this?  Once an item is dealt with, we'll just remove it
from the page.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 14:36, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > I'd like to try formatting the bugs list (84_open_items) on the wiki
> > for organizing getting these issues fixed (or dismissed as
> > non-issues). Something like the commifest template would be useful,
> > but not exactly the same.
> >
> > Sections should be "Pending Issues", "Resolved Issues", and "Rejected
> > Issues".  Columns should be "Issue", "Status", "Reporter", "Assigned
> > To"
>
> Why do we need this?  Once an item is dealt with, we'll just remove it
> from the page.

I thought a little history would be nice, but I suppose we have the wiki
history for that.  In that case, we just need the columns and not the
sections.

Hmmm.  "Rejected Issues" are still good to have, so people don't keep
bringing them up.  No?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

> I thought a little history would be nice, but I suppose we have the wiki
> history for that.  In that case, we just need the columns and not the
> sections.
>
> Hmmm.  "Rejected Issues" are still good to have, so people don't keep
> bringing them up.  No?

I think the idea of having a very simple list of, "please don't bother"
is good. Although it is mentioned on the website TODO already or were
you thinking of something else?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

Re: Wiki wizard help?

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Hmmm.  "Rejected Issues" are still good to have, so people don't keep
> bringing them up.  No?

No, or at least not on the "open items" page.  This is a list for the
developers to keep track of action items, not a suggestion box.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> No, or at least not on the "open items" page.  This is a list for the
> developers to keep track of action items, not a suggestion box.

OK, just the columns then.

Wiki help?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
"Brendan Jurd"
Date:
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> I'd like to try formatting the bugs list (84_open_items)

Where does this bugs list actually exist?  I assume you're not talking
about the wiki page
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items, since that
only has 7 items on it.

> Could anyone set this up this week?

Based on the talk so far in this thread, it looks like we could get
away with having a single table, which makes the template
infrastructure very simple indeed.  I could wire this up in about half
an hour once I know where the current list is at.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Brendan,

> Where does this bugs list actually exist?  I assume you're not talking
> about the wiki page
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items, since that
> only has 7 items on it.

It doesn't exist currently.  Some of the items from
PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items will go on it, as well as some items from
Bruce's much-maligned e-mail list.

> Based on the talk so far in this thread, it looks like we could get
> away with having a single table, which makes the template
> infrastructure very simple indeed.  I could wire this up in about half
> an hour once I know where the current list is at.

Use the stuff on PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items to start it out.  I'll revise
them and populate the rest.

--Josh

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
"Brendan Jurd"
Date:
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Use the stuff on PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items to start it out.  I'll revise
> them and populate the rest.

Okay, I've set up a very simple table-based bugs list at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Bugs

You add new bugs to the list by just adding a call to the "bug"
template [1], which is very similar to a "patch" on the CF page.

Unlike the CF pages, we don't need multiple tables in the bug list,
and we don't need multiple bug lists.  So the table markup is all
right there on the Bugs page, and the template just adds new rows to
the table.

I started out by adding the three items that were already in the
"Bugs" section of
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items.  I didn't
try to follow the email threads on those bugs in any great detail, so
I've created them all with status "New", noted down the original
reporter and left the "assigned to" field blank.

So far the template only supports identifying messages by Message-Id.
If you guys really need to be able to refer to messages by URL, I can
add an alternate version of the template.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Wiki wizard help?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Use the stuff on PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items to start it out.  I'll revise
>> them and populate the rest.
>>

> Okay, I've set up a very simple table-based bugs list at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Bugs

Thanks Brendan!

I need to chop this into categories, though (like: client, backend,
contrib, tools) ... can I do that the same way as CommitFest?

Also, I'm going to be renaming this to 8.4_issues.

--Josh