Wiki CSS

From
David Fetter
Date:
Folks,

Could whoever has the ability mark MediaWiki:Common.css in such a way
as I can write to it?  My username is dfetter.

Thanks :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Could whoever has the ability mark MediaWiki:Common.css in such a way
> as I can write to it?  My username is dfetter.

Why?

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Wiki CSS

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:43:28PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Could whoever has the ability mark MediaWiki:Common.css in such a
> > way as I can write to it?  My username is dfetter.
>
> Why?

So I can fix up how it handles nested lists :)

Anyhow, it's changed, and I'm fixing it up as I write this.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:43:28PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>> > Folks,
>> >
>> > Could whoever has the ability mark MediaWiki:Common.css in such a
>> > way as I can write to it?  My username is dfetter.
>>
>> Why?
>
> So I can fix up how it handles nested lists :)

Why, what's wrong with them? They work fine for me.

> Anyhow, it's changed, and I'm fixing it up as I write this.

No, it's been changed back. We don't hand out sysop/root privs to
anyone without good and justified reason.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

>> Could whoever has the ability mark MediaWiki:Common.css in such a way
>> as I can write to it?  My username is dfetter.
>
> Done.

Err, hang on. why does David need to edit the css, and can it be done
without handing out sysop privileges?

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:58:37PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> >> Why?
> >
> > So I can fix up how it handles nested lists :)
>
> Why, what's wrong with them? They work fine for me.
>
> > Anyhow, it's changed, and I'm fixing it up as I write this.
>
> No, it's been changed back. We don't hand out sysop/root privs to
> anyone without good and justified reason.

Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
standard, and the usual markup won't work, as it involves lists nested
3 deep.  How about reverting it again and not assuming I'm out to
destroy the site?  I've got plenty of accesses a lot more privileged
than that, and I stand on my track record with same.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Wiki CSS

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:03:24 -0700
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> > No, it's been changed back. We don't hand out sysop/root privs to
> > anyone without good and justified reason.
>
> Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
> standard, and the usual markup won't work, as it involves lists nested
> 3 deep.  How about reverting it again and not assuming I'm out to
> destroy the site?  I've got plenty of accesses a lot more privileged
> than that, and I stand on my track record with same.

Slow down everyone :) Nobody is suggesting you are going to destroy the
site David. Dave's point is valid. Root/Sysop should be reserved on all
services. The fact that you have higher privs on other services isn't
relevant. We all have varying level of privs on the boxen that doesn't
mean we should all have root/sysop (insert favorite dangerous account
here).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

>> No, it's been changed back. We don't hand out sysop/root privs to
>> anyone without good and justified reason.
>
> Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
> standard, and the usual markup won't work, as it involves lists nested
> 3 deep.  How about reverting it again and not assuming I'm out to
> destroy the site?  I've got plenty of accesses a lot more privileged
> than that, and I stand on my track record with same.

With respect, that's not the point. I'm sure you agree that privileges
on any system should only be given where they are justified, otherwise
the security of the system can easily go to pot.

On http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/User:Dpage I have lists going 4
levels deep with no problem. Please give an example of what doesn't
work for you.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

>> No, it's been changed back. We don't hand out sysop/root privs to
>> anyone without good and justified reason.
>
> Dave, it's just the wiki, hardly equivalent to a 'root' priv; it
> just means he can edit a few of the more important pages on the
> wiki. Not seeing what the big deal is anyway, this is David Fetter,
> not some random Joe off the street.

We take the security of the postgresql.org infrastructure seriously,
and that includes giving privileged access to services only when
required for a justified reason.

David already knows full well that I trust him - I gave him root on
git.postgresql.org. In that case though, there was a clear need.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:12:54PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>
> >> No, it's been changed back. We don't hand out sysop/root privs to
> >> anyone without good and justified reason.
> >
> > Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
> > standard, and the usual markup won't work, as it involves lists nested
> > 3 deep.  How about reverting it again and not assuming I'm out to
> > destroy the site?  I've got plenty of accesses a lot more privileged
> > than that, and I stand on my track record with same.
>
> With respect, that's not the point. I'm sure you agree that privileges
> on any system should only be given where they are justified, otherwise
> the security of the system can easily go to pot.
>
> On http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/User:Dpage I have lists going 4
> levels deep with no problem. Please give an example of what doesn't
> work for you.

Very simple.  The standard doesn't number them the way you're doing,
and I need to be able to override it.  Just to clarify, if somebody
doesn't use actual HTML and the given classes for <li> tags, nothing
will change.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:15 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Very simple.  The standard doesn't number them the way you're doing,
> and I need to be able to override it.  Just to clarify, if somebody
> doesn't use actual HTML and the given classes for <li> tags, nothing
> will change.

OK, thanks. You should be able to edit it now.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
David Fetter
Date:

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
> standard, and the usual markup won't work,

Hmm, have you read the copyright notice on page 2 of the standard?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wiki CSS

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:19:29PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
> > standard, and the usual markup won't work,
>
> Hmm, have you read the copyright notice on page 2 of the standard?

It's fair use :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:19:29PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> > Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
>> > standard, and the usual markup won't work,
>>
>> Hmm, have you read the copyright notice on page 2 of the standard?
>
> It's fair use :)

Is there such a thing in France where the wiki lives?

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 09 September 2008 12:15:32 David Fetter wrote:

> > > Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
> > > standard, and the usual markup won't work, as it involves lists nested
> > > 3 deep.  How about reverting it again and not assuming I'm out to
> > > destroy the site?  I've got plenty of accesses a lot more privileged
> > > than that, and I stand on my track record with same.
> >
> > With respect, that's not the point. I'm sure you agree that privileges
> > on any system should only be given where they are justified, otherwise
> > the security of the system can easily go to pot.
> >
> > On http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/User:Dpage I have lists going 4
> > levels deep with no problem. Please give an example of what doesn't
> > work for you.
>
> Very simple.  The standard doesn't number them the way you're doing,
> and I need to be able to override it.  Just to clarify, if somebody
> doesn't use actual HTML and the given classes for <li> tags, nothing
> will change.

Isn't the right way to override css to use an inline style?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Wiki CSS

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:19:29PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>>> Slow down, there, cowboy.  I'm trying to put up some of the SQL
>>> standard, and the usual markup won't work,
>>
>> Hmm, have you read the copyright notice on page 2 of the standard?

> It's fair use :)

Have you gotten a lawyer to tell you so?

IMNLO it would depend largely on how much material you were quoting,
and if it's so much that you can't be bothered to adjust the markup,
I'm a bit nervous.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wiki CSS

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:23:18PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> >>
> >> Hmm, have you read the copyright notice on page 2 of the standard?
>
> > It's fair use :)
>
> Have you gotten a lawyer to tell you so?

Nope.

> IMNLO it would depend largely on how much material you were quoting,
> and if it's so much that you can't be bothered to adjust the markup,
> I'm a bit nervous.

It's section 7.13 and 7.14 of the SQL standard, and "can't be
bothered" doesn't even faintly describe what's going on, but thanks
for your input :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Wiki CSS

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, David Fetter wrote:

> The standard doesn't number them the way you're doing, and I need to be
> able to override it.  Just to clarify, if somebody doesn't use actual
> HTML and the given classes for <li> tags, nothing will change.

I'm not familiar enough with CSS to say whether that's true or not.  I do
suspect there was a way to accomplish this for a page without touching
common.css like that.  I would have certainly asked that question here and
waited a while for feedback before touching anything.

What I am uncomfortable with is the way this page was edited.  The
common.css file is cached by browsers for a long time.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Catalogue_of_CSS_classes for
comments about that.  Looks like it was about three hours you experimented
there to get that right.  It really bothers me that changes that impact
the whole site were made like that.  Someone who happened to grab one of
your intermediate files during that period is stuck with that one for the
next month unless they know the proper reload trick.  What if you'd have
accidentally broken something?

I personally would never touch common.css with an untested change on this
Wiki.  I have a private MediaWiki installation I use for experiments like
that, and I'd only roll out a system-wide change on the PG Wiki that had
been confirmed to work there first.  In this case, I don't think you
actually did any harm, but the way this all happened is not something I'd
like to see repeated.

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Greg,

( I believe that... )  You may avoid that caching by adding an expire date to the css http
header so the browser will be forzed to perform the download.

2 cents.

Gb.

2008/9/9, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, David Fetter wrote:
>
>> The standard doesn't number them the way you're doing, and I need to be
>> able to override it.  Just to clarify, if somebody doesn't use actual
>> HTML and the given classes for <li> tags, nothing will change.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with CSS to say whether that's true or not.  I do
> suspect there was a way to accomplish this for a page without touching
> common.css like that.  I would have certainly asked that question here and
> waited a while for feedback before touching anything.
>
> What I am uncomfortable with is the way this page was edited.  The
> common.css file is cached by browsers for a long time.  See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Catalogue_of_CSS_classes for
> comments about that.  Looks like it was about three hours you experimented
> there to get that right.  It really bothers me that changes that impact
> the whole site were made like that.  Someone who happened to grab one of
> your intermediate files during that period is stuck with that one for the
> next month unless they know the proper reload trick.  What if you'd have
> accidentally broken something?
>
> I personally would never touch common.css with an untested change on this
> Wiki.  I have a private MediaWiki installation I use for experiments like
> that, and I'd only roll out a system-wide change on the PG Wiki that had
> been confirmed to work there first.  In this case, I don't think you
> actually did any harm, but the way this all happened is not something I'd
> like to see repeated.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
guido.barosio@globant.com

Re: Wiki CSS

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:23:18PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> IMNLO it would depend largely on how much material you were quoting,
>> and if it's so much that you can't be bothered to adjust the markup,
>> I'm a bit nervous.

> It's section 7.13 and 7.14 of the SQL standard,

Well, that's about 20 pages in the PDF I've got.  I think if you think
that qualifies as fair use, you REALLY had better get confirmation from
a lawyer before putting the project at risk.  My understanding of fair
use is that it probably stretches to a few paragraphs or so.

I think it would be a whole lot safer for you just to tell people
where to get the draft specs.  They'd need it anyway in order to make
sense of all the terms that are referenced but not defined in these
two sections.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wiki CSS

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 08:37:04PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, that's about 20 pages in the PDF I've got.  I think if you think
> that qualifies as fair use, you REALLY had better get confirmation from
> a lawyer before putting the project at risk.  My understanding of fair
> use is that it probably stretches to a few paragraphs or so.

It may well stretch beyond that, but I'm willing to bet that large
corporation-sponsored committees with itchy lawyer fingers and a
strong interest in keeping control of their publications are willing
to swat a small ill-funded project or two in order to protect that
interest.  I think this effort is borrowing trouble, and we shouldn't
do it.  I support Tom's call for references rather than excerpts.

I have to echo, as well, the concerns about testing things on a
production site.  Not cool, that.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Wiki CSS

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 22:58:25 -0400
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 08:37:04PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Well, that's about 20 pages in the PDF I've got.  I think if you
> > think that qualifies as fair use, you REALLY had better get
> > confirmation from a lawyer before putting the project at risk.  My
> > understanding of fair use is that it probably stretches to a few
> > paragraphs or so.
>
> It may well stretch beyond that, but I'm willing to bet that large
> corporation-sponsored committees with itchy lawyer fingers and a
> strong interest in keeping control of their publications are willing
> to swat a small ill-funded project or two in order to protect that
> interest.  I think this effort is borrowing trouble, and we shouldn't
> do it.  I support Tom's call for references rather than excerpts.

In short... there is a reason more "fair use" versions of the SPEC
haven't shown up on the web. +1 remove.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Wiki CSS

From
Peter Eisentraut
Dave Page wrote:
> David already knows full well that I trust him - I gave him root on
> git.postgresql.org. In that case though, there was a clear need.

David, do you actually do anything on git.p.o that requires root access?  As far as I can tell, you do everything under
yourown user account,

and you are not part of the admin alias.

Re: Wiki CSS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> David already knows full well that I trust him - I gave him root on
>> git.postgresql.org. In that case though, there was a clear need.
>
> David, do you actually do anything on git.p.o that requires root access?  As
> far as I can tell, you do everything under your own user account, and you
> are not part of the admin alias.

David has sudo access to do anything, via the PGGITADMIN alias, along
with you and Greg.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wiki CSS

From
Peter Eisentraut
Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> David already knows full well that I trust him - I gave him root on
>>> git.postgresql.org. In that case though, there was a clear need.
>> David, do you actually do anything on git.p.o that requires root access?  As
>> far as I can tell, you do everything under your own user account, and you
>> are not part of the admin alias.
>>

> David has sudo access to do anything, via the PGGITADMIN alias, along
> with you and Greg.

Sorry, I meant the email alias, used for user requests for things
possibly needing root access.