New pages and wiki reorg

From
Greg Smith
Date:
I just created 14 new pages on http://wiki.postgresql.org and broke the
whole "Community Generated Articles, Guides, and Documentation" into
reasonably sized pages along the way.  That completes the initial
reorganization of the site I suggested recently, and it also merges the
majority of the content that had been on the short lived
postgresqldocs.org site.  There's still a few articles there I intend to
merge into the "Detailed installation guides" section soon, at which point
that site will go dark.

The next thing I'm planning to clean up after I'm done with that is the
"Developer and Contributor Resources".  It badly needs 8.3 content
archived, current 8.4 development highlighted, and general structure
collapsed a bit so potential developers can find the important things
easily.

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> I just created 14 new pages on http://wiki.postgresql.org and broke the
> whole "Community Generated Articles, Guides, and Documentation" into
> reasonably sized pages along the way.  That completes the initial
> reorganization of the site I suggested recently, and it also merges the
> majority of the content that had been on the short lived postgresqldocs.org
> site.  There's still a few articles there I intend to merge into the
> "Detailed installation guides" section soon, at which point that site will
> go dark.
>
>  The next thing I'm planning to clean up after I'm done with that is the
> "Developer and Contributor Resources".  It badly needs 8.3 content archived,
> current 8.4 development highlighted, and general structure collapsed a bit
> so potential developers can find the important things easily.

Excellent - thanks Greg.

--
Dave Page

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:

> The next thing I'm planning to clean up after I'm done with that is the
> "Developer and Contributor Resources".  It badly needs 8.3 content
> archived, current 8.4 development highlighted, and general structure
> collapsed a bit so potential developers can find the important things
> easily.

While you're at it, please move the "Advocacy" pages out of "Developer
and Contributor Resources", and rename "Developer and Contributor
Resources" back to "Developer Resources".  There's no point at all in
having the advocacy stuff mixed with developer's -- it's just an
artifact of advocacy coming from the old developer's wiki.

(I'd do it myself, but it needs changes to the front page which is
locked and I can't edit.)

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:21:37 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Greg Smith wrote:
>
> > The next thing I'm planning to clean up after I'm done with that is
> > the "Developer and Contributor Resources".  It badly needs 8.3
> > content archived, current 8.4 development highlighted, and general
> > structure collapsed a bit so potential developers can find the
> > important things easily.
>
> While you're at it, please move the "Advocacy" pages out of "Developer
> and Contributor Resources", and rename "Developer and Contributor
> Resources" back to "Developer Resources".  There's no point at all in
> having the advocacy stuff mixed with developer's -- it's just an
> artifact of advocacy coming from the old developer's wiki.
>
> (I'd do it myself, but it needs changes to the front page which is
> locked and I can't edit.)

We don't want to clutter the front page. I think that Developer and
Contributor resources is perfectly reasonable (if not just contributor
resources) which is a link to a page that has the links. So:

Contributor Resources:  Advocacy Resources  Developer Resources  General Contributor resources

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> We don't want to clutter the front page. I think that Developer and
> Contributor resources is perfectly reasonable (if not just contributor
> resources) which is a link to a page that has the links.

We who?

> So:
> Contributor Resources:
>    Advocacy Resources
>    Developer Resources
>    General Contributor resources

So to get to a developer's page I need to follow three links, only to
save two lines ("clutter") on the front page?  Give me a break.

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:39:10 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> We who?

People who realize cluttering a front page is bad.

> > So:
> > Contributor Resources:
> >    Advocacy Resources
> >    Developer Resources
> >    General Contributor resources
>
> So to get to a developer's page I need to follow three links, only to
> save two lines ("clutter") on the front page?  Give me a break.

Would you like an arm or a leg?

And it would be two links. I do think Contributor Resources should be a
top level link.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:39:10 -0400
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > We who?
>
> People who realize cluttering a front page is bad.

Does anybody else agree with this?

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> While you're at it, please move the "Advocacy" pages out of "Developer
> and Contributor Resources"...

That's exactly the kind of cleanup I was talking about, already noticed
that and will take care of it when I get to that area.

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>  Contributor Resources:
>    Advocacy Resources
>    Developer Resources
>    General Contributor resources

Advocacy docs aren't just for contributors. Passive browsing of why
postgresql rocks is ok too :)

My preference is that all Advocacy information is linked from the front page.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 16 April 2008 09:21, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
> > The next thing I'm planning to clean up after I'm done with that is the
> > "Developer and Contributor Resources".  It badly needs 8.3 content
> > archived, current 8.4 development highlighted, and general structure
> > collapsed a bit so potential developers can find the important things
> > easily.
>
> While you're at it, please move the "Advocacy" pages out of "Developer
> and Contributor Resources", and rename "Developer and Contributor
> Resources" back to "Developer Resources".  There's no point at all in
> having the advocacy stuff mixed with developer's -- it's just an
> artifact of advocacy coming from the old developer's wiki.

Are you familiar with the concept of namespaces? I've been thinking that maybe
we should add some of them into the wiki. I was thinking one for
Advocacy, "general" Development, and then one for each release maybe?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Namespace

--
Robert Treat

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> We don't want to clutter the front page.

I pushed all the developer info into another layer specificially to
unclutter the front page, so I'm with you on that.  But there's some of it
that should be easier to reach, particularly as the wiki gets used more
for commit fests.  I was planning to use a bit more horizontal space in
the next front page update, to fit in some more direct links to the most
useful parts of the developer and advocacy areas.

Re: New pages and wiki reorg

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Robert Treat wrote:

> Are you familiar with the concept of namespaces? I've been thinking that
> maybe we should add some of them into the wiki. I was thinking one for
> Advocacy, "general" Development, and then one for each release maybe?

Not a bad idea, but a bit more organization than is really needed yet.
I'm still clearing the clutter from things that were just thrown onto
pages that made sense at the time but not anymore.  It may be that
categories are sufficient for this sort of thing, rather than going all
the way to namespaces.

Advocacy is now a front-page item, and it's no longer entangled with the
developer information.  That let me flatten the developer structure a bit
and remove a page altogether.  Still need to prune out the 8.3 leftovers
there.