postgres.org doesn't work

Date:
We own the domain name postgres.org, but it doesn't pull up our web
site:
$ host postgres.orgpostgres.org has address 66.98.251.159postgres.org mail is handled (pri=0) by
mail.postgres.orgpostgres.orgmail is handled (pri=5) by mx1.hub.orgpostgres.org mail is handled (pri=5) by
mx2.hub.orgpostgres.orgmail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org

Same for postgres.com:
$ host postgres.compostgres.com has address 66.98.251.159postgres.com mail is handled (pri=5) by
mx2.hub.orgpostgres.commail is handled (pri=5) by mx1.hub.orgpostgres.com mail is handled (pri=0) by
mail.postgres.compostgres.commail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org

For comparison is of course works:
$ host postgresql.orgpostgresql.org has address 200.46.204.71postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=10) by
mx2.hub.orgpostgresql.orgmail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.orgpostgresql.org mail is handled (pri=0) by
mail.postgresql.orgpostgresql.orgmail is handled (pri=10) by mx1.hub.org

What other domains do we own and do they all work?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: postgres.org doesn't work

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Didn't you already bring this up once this week?  Do you *really* have nothing
better with your time?

We saw your original, we acknowledged your original, and we are working on
putting in place a fix ...

- --On Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:58:40 -0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
wrote:

> We own the domain name postgres.org, but it doesn't pull up our web
> site:
>
>     $ host postgres.org
>     postgres.org has address 66.98.251.159
>     postgres.org mail is handled (pri=0) by mail.postgres.org
>     postgres.org mail is handled (pri=5) by mx1.hub.org
>     postgres.org mail is handled (pri=5) by mx2.hub.org
>     postgres.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org
>
> Same for postgres.com:
>
>     $ host postgres.com
>     postgres.com has address 66.98.251.159
>     postgres.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx2.hub.org
>     postgres.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx1.hub.org
>     postgres.com mail is handled (pri=0) by mail.postgres.com
>     postgres.com mail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org
>
> For comparison is of course works:
>
>     $ host postgresql.org
>     postgresql.org has address 200.46.204.71
>     postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx2.hub.org
>     postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org
>     postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=0) by mail.postgresql.org
>     postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx1.hub.org
>
> What other domains do we own and do they all work?
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>   EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

- --
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)

Re: postgres.org doesn't work

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
Just to be a pedant,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:58:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We own the domain name postgres.org, but it doesn't pull up our web

"we" don't own the domain names, according to the agreement the registrants
signed by virtue of registering the domain.  PostgreSQL Global Development
Group (which is not, of course, a legal entity and cannot enter into
contracts) is listed as the registrant of postgres.com.  Tom Lane is the
registrant of postgres.org (and probably effectively postgres.com, since
he's the administrative contact).  And Marc Fournier is the registrant of
postgresql.org.

All of that said, a DNAME for postgres.org to postgresql.org might be a nice
idea.  (Note that this will, under current RFCs, mean that you can't
redirect postgres.org itself.  But all domains under it can be.)  You can't
use this for MX records, because for non-implementing resolvers DNAMEs cause
the synthesis of a CNAME, and CNAMEs aren't allowed in MX chains.  (And
people marvel that users complain of the complexity of DNS!)

Re: postgres.org doesn't work

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Didn't you already bring this up once this week?  Do you *really*
> have nothing better with your time?

No, not really.

> We saw your original, we acknowledged your original, and we are
> working on putting in place a fix ...

The only acknowledgement I got was from Josh Berkus which was:

> > Postgres.net doesn't belong to us, unless the guy recently sold
> > it to someone.

I see no indication there that anything is being worked on, hence my
request on www (and I suppressed the postgres.net mention based on
Josh's comments.)

If the reply had been, "Yea, we know it is a problem and will fix it in
X weeks" I could have stopped worrying about it.

> - --On Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:58:40 -0400 Bruce Momjian
> <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > We own the domain name postgres.org, but it doesn't pull up our web
> > site:
> >
> >      $ host postgres.org
> >      postgres.org has address 66.98.251.159
> >      postgres.org mail is handled (pri=0) by mail.postgres.org
> >      postgres.org mail is handled (pri=5) by mx1.hub.org
> >      postgres.org mail is handled (pri=5) by mx2.hub.org
> >      postgres.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org
> >
> > Same for postgres.com:
> >
> >      $ host postgres.com
> >      postgres.com has address 66.98.251.159
> >      postgres.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx2.hub.org
> >      postgres.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx1.hub.org
> >      postgres.com mail is handled (pri=0) by mail.postgres.com
> >      postgres.com mail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org
> >
> > For comparison is of course works:
> >
> >      $ host postgresql.org
> >      postgresql.org has address 200.46.204.71
> >      postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx2.hub.org
> >      postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx3.hub.org
> >      postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=0) by mail.postgresql.org
> >      postgresql.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx1.hub.org
> >
> > What other domains do we own and do they all work?
> >
> > --
> >   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
> >   EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
> >
> >   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +
> >
> > --
>

> - -- Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
> (http://www.hub.org) Email . scrappy@hub.org
> MSN . scrappy@hub.org Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype:

-- Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://enterprisedb.com

Re: postgres.org doesn't work

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:58:40 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> We own the domain name postgres.org, but it doesn't pull up our web

Yes Bruce, you already posted on sysadmins and it is being resolved.

> What other domains do we own and do they all work?

You don't own domains.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake