Moderation of -general this week

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Moderation of -general this week

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: Moderation of -general this week

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:58:02PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> we need more mods for this particular list. Some sort of spam filter
> would be nice, too. I can't imagine all those mails from
> POSTCARDS.RU would be hard to filter out before reaching the
> moderation queue. :)

If there were any kind of spam filtering on -general, I would volunteer.  At
the moment, however, I can barely keep up with the lists I already moderate,
partly because of the volume of moderation being done because of spam.  Most
days, for instance, I reject at least a dozen mails written in cyrillic
characters..  I'm willing to bet we could train some Bayesian filter to
reject those before any human were involved.  They're going to get rejected
anyway.

Date:

> How many of those "hundreds" are a result of mods only approvign
> messages, and not taking the time to reject?

I would guess few to none, as the ratio of approvable/rejectable stays the
same, no matter how long I am away, and I never approve without also rejecting
and clearing out the queue. But to the original question, can we use
spamassassin and drop on the floor posts with over a score of say, 6?

For example, here is the message at the top of the general queue
as I write this:

=======

for<pgsql-general-postgresql.org@localhost.postgresql.org>; Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:26:19 -0400 (AST)

withESMTP id 77A7A2E0046       for <pgsql-general-postgresql.org@localhost.postgresql.org>; Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:26:15