Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Change of search IP

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 02:34:59PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> search has moved to 207.173.203.174 . At some point this weekend please
> change the DNS to reflect that. The old search box will remain
> operating until then.

Well, then +TTL, right?  :)

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
SELECT 'Training', 'Consulting' FROM vendor WHERE name = 'CMD'

Re: Change of search IP

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:53:35 -0400
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

>> - --On Friday, January 11, 2008 15:00:20 -0800 "Joshua D. Drake"
>> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>> That as well may be a good idea.
>> DNS updated ... and, it should be effective near immediately ... TTL
>> was set to 300 on that zone file from work that was done awhile back,
>> and nobody thought to go back and change it ...
>>
>> Before I go and change it back to 1 day, is there any other DNS
>> changes that we need to make, while its so low? :)
>
> There are some coming. I have to move pmt as well. Please leave be for
> a week.

looks like we broke something in the process and the search on
http://archives.postgresql.org/ is now returning:

Static page not found: system/oldsearch.php

second bug is that our monitoring failed to detect that immediately -
but that will be fixed in a few ...

Stefan

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> looks like we broke something in the process and the search on
> http://archives.postgresql.org/ is now returning:
>
> Static page not found: system/oldsearch.php

I will take a look at this as soon as I shove some food down my throat.

Joshua D. Drake

> second bug is that our monitoring failed to detect that immediately -
> but that will be fixed in a few ...
>

> Stefan

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Change of search IP

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:13:13 +0100
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>

>> looks like we broke something in the process and the search on
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/ is now returning:
>
>> Static page not found: system/oldsearch.php
>

> Hello,
>
> I put in a temporary fix for this until I can confer with Magnus on if
> it is proper. Search results do now appear though.

Wrong search results though :)

Anyway, proper fix put in place.

//Magnus

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:13:13 +0100
>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

>> I put in a temporary fix for this until I can confer with Magnus on if
>> it is proper. Search results do now appear though.
>

> Wrong search results though :)

Well you know what MySQL says, "Better incorrect results than no results."

:P

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Change of search IP

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:13:13 +0100
>>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>
>>> I put in a temporary fix for this until I can confer with Magnus on if
>>> it is proper. Search results do now appear though.
>>

>> Wrong search results though :)
>
> Well you know what MySQL says, "Better incorrect results than no results."

I do know that. Just didn't know you played for their team ;-)

//Magnus

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Well you know what MySQL says, "Better incorrect results than no
>> results."
>
> I do know that. Just didn't know you played for their team ;-)

Only when being forced to use PHP...

badda boom ;)

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> I do know that. Just didn't know you played for their team ;-)
>>>
>> Only when being forced to use PHP...
>
> Ya lost me on that one ... all the PHP programming I do is with PostgreSQL ...

O.k. first my sarcastic reply just because the above sentence is too
perfect :)

Marc.. you use PLphp? :P

But in response to the question, the "joke" was supposed to be that PHP
regardless of its distribution, user base (and obvious productivity) is
widely considered a language lacking.

One of the jokes at PostgreSQL Conference West was something like, "If
you are using Perl, use Ruby, if you are using PHP, use anything else."

I would have to actually listen to the talk to here exactly what that
joke was though. It is here if you are interested:

http://www.postgresqlconference.org/fall2007_audio/RoR_Essentials.mp3

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Change of search IP

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: Change of search IP

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Sunday, January 13, 2008 09:41:59 -0800 "Joshua D. Drake"
> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > Marc.. you use PLphp? :P
>
> Not yet, haven't needed to do anything beyond simple pl/pgsql *yet* ...
>
> Tangent: we should start up a list of applications that use the various pl/*'s
> we do have ... for instance, does any use pl/php yet, other then personal sites?

I doubt plphp is seeing any serious usage at this time.  There are
enough bugs lurking in it that makes its usage for anything other than
very trivial functions an exercise of pain.

I really don't understand how is Robert Treat able to deal with it.

The sad part is that I think plphp is not very far from being usable,
but it just hasn't happened yet.