an admin team for the new European servers

From
damien clochard
Date:
hi folks !

As you might know Continuent has donated 4 servers to the community :
 - 2 for PostgreSQLFr  - 2 for PostgreSQL Europe

As far as we know, here is the profiles of the machines :
*  HP ML370 G4*  HP ML370 G4*  HP DL140G1 - 3 GHz Xeon - 2 x 80 Gb - 1Gb RAM*  HP DL140G2 - 2.8 GHz Xeon -  80 Gb + 250
Gb(SATA) - 1 Gb RAM

For now this 4 servers are in Grenoble. They will be moved to Marseilles in
the first days of December and placed in Dalibo's datacenter, which is
operated by Lost-Oasis ( http://lost-oasis.fr  http://www.ielo.net)

The installation and configuration will be done by Dalibo ( probably Jean-Paul
Argudo and Cédric Villemain ). But beyond that, Dalibo wishes to delegate the
administration of the servers to community members...

Concerning the 2 servers given to PostgreSQLFR , an admin group composed of
members of the french association will be created...

Dalibo would like to see such group created to administrate the servers
dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.

So here's a bunch of questions for you all :
1/ Who wants to admin this 2 servers ?2/ What do we install on them ? What do we need ?3/ How do we name them ? ;-)

We have something like 30 days to answer these questions :-)

I'm sending this e-mail to pgsql-www to see if they have ideas or advice on
the subject.

damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com

Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers

From
Dave Page
Date:
damien clochard wrote:
> Dalibo would like to see such group created to administrate the servers
> dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.
>
> So here's a bunch of questions for you all :
>
>  1/ Who wants to admin this 2 servers ?
>  2/ What do we install on them ? What do we need ?
>  3/ How do we name them ? ;-)
>
> We have something like 30 days to answer these questions :-)
>
> I'm sending this e-mail to pgsql-www to see if they have ideas or advice on
> the subject.

I would suggest we manage the machines alongside the existing global
infrastructure to avoid duplication of effort wrt to monitoring, upgrade
planning and so on. We can also configure them in the same way as our
other servers such that services can be replicated to other machines
where they can be re-hosted in case of emergency.

Among the four or five admins for the global stuff are Magnus Hagander,
Stefan Kaltenbrunner and myself, so we already have a strong European
presence.

Regards, Dave

Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello all,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 03:22:47PM +0100, damien clochard wrote:

> So here's a bunch of questions for you all :
>
>  1/ Who wants to admin this 2 servers ?

How about the www team?

>  2/ What do we install on them ? What do we need ?

Some place for the european user groups (webspace maybe, some kind of
cms)?

Another idea is to move docbot to one of the machines, then we can set
up the database on this machine too (play with replication around ;-)
Right now docbot is accessing a database over the internet on Primers
host. Also some more ppl could restart or update the bot, if needed. For
now only 2 or 3 people have an account.

>  3/ How do we name them ? ;-)

fix & foxy, of course! *smile*

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, damien clochard wrote:

> 3/ How do we name them ? ;-)

castor & pollux, Scylla & Charybdis
    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers

From
Jean-Paul Argudo
Date:
Hi all,

> [...]
> For now this 4 servers are in Grenoble. They will be moved to Marseilles in
> the first days of December and placed in Dalibo's datacenter, which is
> operated by Lost-Oasis ( http://lost-oasis.fr  http://www.ielo.net)
> [...]

I'll have the machines in my car on the 16th (yes, Sunday). I'll drive
them down to Marseilles on the 17th. They'll be online on the 17th
(simple linux install (surely debian or ubuntu server) + ssh), some
admins will finish installing them later.

> The installation and configuration will be done by Dalibo ( probably Jean-Paul
> Argudo and Cédric Villemain ). But beyond that, Dalibo wishes to delegate the
> administration of the servers to community members...

That's it. We'll continue sponsorship the bandwidth and such, be we
won't administer them anymore.

> Concerning the 2 servers given to PostgreSQLFR , an admin group composed of
> members of the french association will be created...

Exactly.

> Dalibo would like to see such group created to administrate the servers
> dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.

By a group, IMHO, its at a maximum, 4 or 5 persons.

> So here's a bunch of questions for you all :
>
>  1/ Who wants to admin this 2 servers ?

Not me, I'll probably co-admin both of the 2 PostgreSQLFr.org servers.

>  2/ What do we install on them ? What do we need ?

IMHO:

- e-mail,
- cms / wiki ... whatever to have some content..
- ftp mirror of ftp.postgresql.org could be cool
- some kind of redundancy between both of these servers
- eu languages translations of docs & apps ?..

>  3/ How do we name them ? ;-)

Romus & Remulus ?
Tarzan & Jane ?
Black & White ?
Sun & Moon ?
Toe & Finger ?

??.. :))

cya

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org

Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>> [...]
>> For now this 4 servers are in Grenoble. They will be moved to Marseilles in
>> the first days of December and placed in Dalibo's datacenter, which is
>> operated by Lost-Oasis ( http://lost-oasis.fr  http://www.ielo.net)
>> [...]
>
> I'll have the machines in my car on the 16th (yes, Sunday). I'll drive
> them down to Marseilles on the 17th. They'll be online on the 17th
> (simple linux install (surely debian or ubuntu server) + ssh), some
> admins will finish installing them later.

cool - but most of the postgresql.org infrastructure servers are running
FreeBSD(with jails to make moving services around easier) while it is
not necessary to have it on all boxes it would be good to get FreeBSD on
at least a few so we can use them to backup the other international VMs
for example.
If needed we can help with setting them up ...

>> The installation and configuration will be done by Dalibo ( probably Jean-Paul
>> Argudo and Cédric Villemain ). But beyond that, Dalibo wishes to delegate the
>> administration of the servers to community members...
>
> That's it. We'll continue sponsorship the bandwidth and such, be we
> won't administer them anymore.
>
>> Concerning the 2 servers given to PostgreSQLFR , an admin group composed of
>> members of the french association will be created...
>
> Exactly.
>
>> Dalibo would like to see such group created to administrate the servers
>> dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.
>
> By a group, IMHO, its at a maximum, 4 or 5 persons.

hmm yeah there is already an established admin team for other
postgresql-infrastructure (as well a support infrastructure for
documentation, monitoring and stuff). We should probably look into how
we can avoid duplication of efforts here.

>> So here's a bunch of questions for you all :
>>
>>  1/ Who wants to admin this 2 servers ?
>
> Not me, I'll probably co-admin both of the 2 PostgreSQLFr.org servers.
>
>>  2/ What do we install on them ? What do we need ?

see above

> IMHO:
>
> - e-mail,
> - cms / wiki ... whatever to have some content..
> - ftp mirror of ftp.postgresql.org could be cool

not sure we need more ftp-mirrors, there are more interesting things we
could do with that kind of dedicated hosts.

> - some kind of redundancy between both of these servers
> - eu languages translations of docs & apps ?..
>

>>  3/ How do we name them ? ;-)
>
> Romus & Remulus ?

remus.postgresql.org and romulus.postgresql.org are already taken by
infrastructure hosts (the existing naming scheme is somewhat Star Trek
heavy)

Stefan