Release timeline for 8.3

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Per request, I've drafted a "release timeline" which shows the timings and
order in which everything needs to be done.  It obviously doesn't have quite
enough detail on the stuff which needs to be done over the last 4 days before
the release.  Help me fill it in?

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/MajorReleaseTimeline

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Release timeline for 8.3

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 09:00:42PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Per request, I've drafted a "release timeline" which shows the timings and
> order in which everything needs to be done.  It obviously doesn't have quite
> enough detail on the stuff which needs to be done over the last 4 days before
> the release.  Help me fill it in?
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/MajorReleaseTimeline

I changed the -1 to -2 hours, due to website lag update. But I'm unsure
what you mean with "news page" vs "rest of website update". Are you talking
about just the news item? Because we'll have to update the actual frontpage
and the listing that shows latest versions and such at -2, so we might as
well post the news at that time no? And just hold back on the email ones?

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Release timeline for 8.3

Date:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 09:00:42PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/MajorReleaseTimeline

> I changed the -1 to -2 hours, due to website lag update. But I'm unsure
> what you mean with "news page" vs "rest of website update". Are you talking
> about just the news item? Because we'll have to update the actual frontpage
> and the listing that shows latest versions and such at -2, so we might as
> well post the news at that time no? And just hold back on the email ones?

The front end of the list seems a bit bizarre too.  You won't know nine
weeks out just when the release is going to happen.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Release timeline for 8.3

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> The front end of the list seems a bit bizarre too.  You won't know nine
> weeks out just when the release is going to happen.

Nope.  You have to start that far out from the earliest release date,
and be ready ahead of time.  For 8.2 that meant that the press release
was ready a month before PostgreSQL was, but for 8.1 we were barely in
time because of the short beta.

--Josh