Getting ready for beta

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW Team,

So, are we ready to update the home page for a beta on Monday?

I'll write the news item ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> WWW Team,
>
>> So, are we ready to update the home page for a beta on Monday?
>
>> I'll write the news item ...
>

> Do we have beta1 release notes? I posted yesterday per Tom and haven't
> seen anything.

I was planning to load up the actual beta docs once it's wrapped, and
put those on the site. If we do that, we can just link to those docs
(labeled "preliminary release notes" or something, of course).

Any objections to the plan of loading the beta docs on the main site?
(No, I don't intend to flag them as "current", they'll just go under
/docs/8.3/)

//Magnus

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

> Any objections to the plan of loading the beta docs on the main site?
> (No, I don't intend to flag them as "current", they'll just go under
> /docs/8.3/)

Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html ?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Magnus,
>
>> Any objections to the plan of loading the beta docs on the main site?
>> (No, I don't intend to flag them as "current", they'll just go under
>> /docs/8.3/)
>
> Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html ?

Unless someone changes the way the docs are built before then, it'll be
/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html

//Magnus

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 04 October 2007 16:55, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Magnus,
> >
> >> Any objections to the plan of loading the beta docs on the main site?
> >> (No, I don't intend to flag them as "current", they'll just go under
> >> /docs/8.3/)
> >
> > Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html ?
>
> Unless someone changes the way the docs are built before then, it'll be
> /docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html

s/static/interactive/   :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:

> > > Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html ?
> >
> > Unless someone changes the way the docs are built before then, it'll be
> > /docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html
> >

> s/static/interactive/   :-)

That would work too. But since we have them both I figured we'd want to use the static ones during beta.

or maybe this is the time when we should retire one sdu of docs once and for all? now that we have properly moderated
commentsI think it wound be a good idea

to consider..

/Magnus

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> or maybe this is the time when we should retire one sdu of docs once
> and for all? now that we have properly moderated comments I think it
> wound be a good idea to consider..

If you do please make sure to have redirects from the /static/ URLs.

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 06 October 2007 13:13, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> s/static/interactive/   :-)
> >
> > That would work too. But since we have them both I figured we'd want to
> > use the static ones during beta.
> >
> > or maybe this is the time when we should retire one sdu of docs once and
> > for all? now that we have properly moderated comments I think it wound be
> > a good idea to consider..
>
> Only if there is a way (I haven't checked) to turn off viewing of the
> comments *regardless* if I am logged in.
>
> I personally don't read, care to read, or want anything to do with
> interactive documentation :). Give me what I need, only what I need and
> if I need something you don't provide, I will ask.
>Luckily the source distribution comes with a complete copy of the
documentation included, so you can just build it and install it locally and
never have to worry about using the interactive version.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

>>> /docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html
>>>
>> s/static/interactive/   :-)

This URL isn't live yet.  Will it be?

--Josh

Re: Getting ready for beta -- more work needed

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Where will the beta downloads live?  I don't know where to link to.

We also need text for:

http://www.postgresql.org/developer/beta

Here's my suggestion:

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group today released the long-awaited
first beta of version 8.3.  Thanks to an unprecedented number of new
patches, this version introduces more new and improved features than any
previous one.   Of course, more new features means that 8.3 needs more
user testing than any previous version, so we're counting on you to
download it and test it with development versions of your applications.

The current beta is 8.3Beta1, which is available <a href="link?">from
the file browser.</a> <a
href="/docs/8.3/interactive/release-8-3.html>Documentation is available
online</a> as well.

Among the features in the new version are:
<ul><li>Greatly improved performance consistency, through HOT, Load
Distributed Checkpoint, JIT bgwriter, Asynchronous Commit, and other
features.</li>
<li>TSearch2 full text search integrated into the core code with
improved syntax and ease of adding custom dictionaries.</li>
<li>SQL:XML syntax.</li>
<li>Logging to database-loadable CSV files.</li>
<li>Automated rebuilding of cached plans.</li>
<li>ENUMs, UUIDs and arrays of complex types.</li>
... and many others.  <a
href="/docs/8.3/interactive/release-8-3.html>See the release notes</a>
for a more complete list of new features.

How soon this beta turns into a release depends on testing by our
community of users.  As soon as possible, please help us with community
testing:

<li>Try out the new features, alone or in combination.</li>
<li>Test porting your old applications.</li>
<li>Test integration with drivers and other database tools.</li>
<li>Run performance tests on the new database.</li>
Visual C++ support.</li></ul>

As always, please send any of the bugs you find using the <a
href="/support/submitbug">bug submission form.</a>   Your help with
testing will ensure that this version of PostgreSQL is as secure,
reliable and bug-free as previous versions -- and get the beta over with
quickly!

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Dave Page
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Yes but the web version is searchable using a really cool search engine
> that is backed by PostgreSQL. Seriously though, I have no problem with a
> single set of documentation, but what I suggest above really isn't that
> tough to do. I nice collapsible DIV should do the trick.

And leave the (ex) static docs bloated for those of us who use them on
handheld devices via slower cellular connections like GPRS.

/D

Re: Getting ready for beta

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 10:19:00PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Magnus,

> >>s/static/interactive/   :-)
> >

> This URL isn't live yet.  Will it be?

It is now. Or rather, it is on wwwmaster now, it'll be once it replicates
out.

//Magnus

Re: Getting ready for beta

From