Any use for two Compaqs in Europe?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Continuent has offered us two fairly current Compaq servers (specs pending)
for donation.  The machines are currently in Grenoble, France, and we'd have
to supply transportation to whereever we want to host them.

If they weren't in Europe, I could really use them for our performance lab,
but intercontinental transport is liable to be more than they're worth.

So, is there somewhere we could use these?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Any use for two Compaqs in Europe?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Continuent has offered us two fairly current Compaq servers (specs pending)
> for donation.  The machines are currently in Grenoble, France, and we'd have
> to supply transportation to whereever we want to host them.
>
> If they weren't in Europe, I could really use them for our performance lab,
> but intercontinental transport is liable to be more than they're worth.
>
> So, is there somewhere we could use these?

hmm - compaq sounds like older gear(so let's get some specs!) but I
could certainly come up with hosting if we find some use for it.

Stefan

Re: Any use for two Compaqs in Europe?

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Continuent has offered us two fairly current Compaq servers (specs
> pending)
> for donation.  The machines are currently in Grenoble, France, and
> we'd have
> to supply transportation to whereever we want to host them.
>
> If they weren't in Europe, I could really use them for our
> performance lab,
> but intercontinental transport is liable to be more than they're
> worth.
>
> So, is there somewhere we could use these?

How heavy are they? Someone flying across the pond could potentially
take them as checked luggage...
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: Any use for two Compaqs in Europe?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 08:09:47PM -0700, Decibel! wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >Folks,
> >
> >Continuent has offered us two fairly current Compaq servers (specs
> >pending)
> >for donation.  The machines are currently in Grenoble, France, and
> >we'd have
> >to supply transportation to whereever we want to host them.
> >
> >If they weren't in Europe, I could really use them for our
> >performance lab,
> >but intercontinental transport is liable to be more than they're
> >worth.
> >
> >So, is there somewhere we could use these?
>
> How heavy are they? Someone flying across the pond could potentially
> take them as checked luggage...

Been a while since you dealt with this kind of hardware, right? ;-)

If it's actualyil a compaq (and not a HP), it's very large. And even if
it's a modern HP, it's certainly not something you stick in your suitcase
;-)

//Magnus

Re: Any use for two Compaqs in Europe?

From
Stéphane Schildknecht
Date:
Hi Josh,

PostgreSQLFr is interested in getting thoses machines, as we are looking
for a better way to host the postgresqlfr.org website.

What's more we have a solution to take the servers in Grenoble.

Just let me know if it's OK for You.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Stéphane Schildknecht

Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Folks,
>
> Continuent has offered us two fairly current Compaq servers (specs pending)
> for donation.  The machines are currently in Grenoble, France, and we'd have
> to supply transportation to whereever we want to host them.
>
> If they weren't in Europe, I could really use them for our performance lab,
> but intercontinental transport is liable to be more than they're worth.
>
> So, is there somewhere we could use these?

--
Stéphane Schildknecht
Volunteer Regional Contact
France
fr@postgresql.org
phone: +33 9 53 69 97 12
cell: +33 6 13 60 37 44

Date:
Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> PostgreSQLFr is interested in getting thoses machines, as we are looking
> for a better way to host the postgresqlfr.org website.
>
> What's more we have a solution to take the servers in Grenoble.
>
> Just let me know if it's OK for You.

It's good by me.   WWW team?

--Josh

Re: Any use for two Compaqs in Europe?

From
Dave Page
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
>> Hi Josh,
>>
>> PostgreSQLFr is interested in getting thoses machines, as we are looking
>> for a better way to host the postgresqlfr.org website.
>>
>> What's more we have a solution to take the servers in Grenoble.
>>
>> Just let me know if it's OK for You.
>
> It's good by me.   WWW team?

No objections here.

Regards, Dave

Date:
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 03:36:36PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Stéphane Schildknecht wrote:
> >Hi Josh,
> >
> >PostgreSQLFr is interested in getting thoses machines, as we are looking
> >for a better way to host the postgresqlfr.org website.
> >
> >What's more we have a solution to take the servers in Grenoble.
> >
> >Just let me know if it's OK for You.
>
> It's good by me.   WWW team?

I'd like to see the specs of the servers before committing. If they're well
performing machines, I would suggest we set them up as VM hosts the same
way as the others, and not dedicate them to one task.

Now,if we do that, I'm absolutely not against sticking them in the pgfr
guys place in Grenoble. Actually, I think it's a great idea - not putting
all eggs in the same place. But I would suggest we set it up in a way that
the postgresqlfr.org website has one dedicated VM, and we have other VMs
available for other things as needed.

Oh, also - Stephane, what's the datacenter like? Connectivity,
availability, etc?

That's assuming the machiens are actually reasonably new - if they're
actual "compaq" machines that means they're old, and probably not
worthwhile setting up VMs on. So in that case, I'm fine with single-task
box dedicated to postgresqlfr.org.

//Magnus