No checksums please

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: No checksums please

Date:
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> Could we please turn off all the checksum stuff for the mailing lists?

Are you talking about disabling the detection of duplicate messages?
That seems like a seriously bad idea.  I personally see a number of my
own messages regurgitated every so often by various people's broken
Microsloth-hatched excuses for MTAs, and I would not like to see those
dups dumped into the mailing list again (for one thing, it only takes
a small amount more MTA breakage to turn that into a self-feeding flood).
        regards, tom lane

Re: No checksums please

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: No checksums please

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:44:44PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> > Could we please turn off all the checksum stuff for the mailing lists?
>
> Are you talking about disabling the detection of duplicate messages?
> That seems like a seriously bad idea.  I personally see a number of my
> own messages regurgitated every so often by various people's broken
> Microsloth-hatched excuses for MTAs, and I would not like to see those
> dups dumped into the mailing list again (for one thing, it only takes
> a small amount more MTA breakage to turn that into a self-feeding flood).

I don't know if there is a difference between "duplicate detection" and
"partial duplicate detection". AFAIK, only the "partial duplicate
detection" has caused problems. But just ignore that ocmment if they are
the same thing.

//Magnus

Re: No checksums please

From