Re: Banner ads (was: On what we want to support: infrastructure?)

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> What Josh means is that we'll be taking the ads off
> >> www.postgresql.org, not that phpPgAds will go away as a product.
> >> AFAIK, that is :)
> >
> > Yes, I understand.
> >
> > While you may not have the need to get paying advertisers,
> I feel that
> > rotating ads of open source projects which use pgsql was an
> > interesting idea, even though it was partly abandoned
> during the site restyle.
> >
> > There is a fairly good number of monthly ad impressions (without
> > banners on the home page) and it's just a pity to avoid using them.
>
> Just an aside ... the banners that are in rotation are all
> 'freebies', we haven't done a paid ad in a few months ... the
> ones that are still in rotation (CMD, EDB, Hub) are just
> companies supporting PostgreSQL (ie. developers or
> infrastructure) ... adding in appropriate open source
> projects wouldn't be a stretch, IMHO ...

(copying this thread over to -www)

I just loaded up a couple and got ads for www.samspublishing.com,
hub.org (many different), commandprompt, pgsql inc, postgresql.org (we
put ads for ourselves there? Interesting!), one for pgadmin (that came
up after only about 50 reloads), one taht says "advertise here" that
links to the wrong server.

That means that if we remove the commercial sponsor ones (which are
already listed under sponsors) and ourselves, we have *only* pgadmin
left? (And it came up extremely rarely - don't know if that's just
random, or if there is priority on the hub.org and commandprompt ones)

My personal opinion is that it looks rather unprofessional with the
bannerads. *especially* the ones that are actually animated - that looks
*really* bad. In some situations it also slows down site loading
noticably (though it's much better since the last round of fixes Marc
and me did a while back).

So I still claim we're better off finding a *different way* to promote
these OSS projects. (They're listed under /download/ now) And if the
current exposure of the sponsors isn't good enough, let's look at a
better way to do those as well.

And given that we're no longer pulling in money or have actual contracts
on teh bannerads (which we did last time this was discussed), I formally
suggest that we should now go ahead and remove them from the site as
soon as we can.

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Banner ads (was: On what we want to support:

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 11:03 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> So I still claim we're better off finding a *different way* to promote
> these OSS projects. (They're listed under /download/ now) And if the
> current exposure of the sponsors isn't good enough, let's look at a
> better way to do those as well.

+1

Banner ads are unprofessional, and there are *lots* of ways to get more
publicity for sponsors of the project and OSS projects that support
Postgres.

-Neil

Re: Banner ads (was: On what we want to support: infrastructure?)

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Banner ads

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Yes, I understand.
>>>
>>> While you may not have the need to get paying advertisers,
>>>
>> I feel that
>>
>>> rotating ads of open source projects which use pgsql was an
>>> interesting idea, even though it was partly abandoned
>>>
>> during the site restyle.
>>
>>> There is a fairly good number of monthly ad impressions (without
>>> banners on the home page) and it's just a pity to avoid using them.
>>>
>> Just an aside ... the banners that are in rotation are all
>> 'freebies', we haven't done a paid ad in a few months ... the
>> ones that are still in rotation (CMD, EDB, Hub) are just
>> companies supporting PostgreSQL (ie. developers or
>> infrastructure) ... adding in appropriate open source
>> projects wouldn't be a stretch, IMHO ...
>>

> (copying this thread over to -www)
>
> I just loaded up a couple and got ads for www.samspublishing.com,
> hub.org (many different), commandprompt, pgsql inc, postgresql.org (we
> put ads for ourselves there? Interesting!), one for pgadmin (that came
> up after only about 50 reloads), one taht says "advertise here" that
> links to the wrong server.
>
> That means that if we remove the commercial sponsor ones (which are
> already listed under sponsors) and ourselves, we have *only* pgadmin
> left? (And it came up extremely rarely - don't know if that's just
> random, or if there is priority on the hub.org and commandprompt ones)
>
> My personal opinion is that it looks rather unprofessional with the
> bannerads. *especially* the ones that are actually animated - that looks
> *really* bad. In some situations it also slows down site loading
> noticably (though it's much better since the last round of fixes Marc
> and me did a while back).
>
> So I still claim we're better off finding a *different way* to promote
> these OSS projects. (They're listed under /download/ now) And if the
> current exposure of the sponsors isn't good enough, let's look at a
> better way to do those as well.
>
> And given that we're no longer pulling in money or have actual contracts
> on teh bannerads (which we did last time this was discussed), I formally
> suggest that we should now go ahead and remove them from the site as
> soon as we can.
>
> //Magnus
I'm surprised...lots of these ads seem to be google ads, and google
should be paying someone for them...  However, I think the site has a
cleaner look without ads...and I agree with the statement about ads
being a bit "noisy" (the animated ones).

On the other hand, IMHO sponsors should be recognized for their
donations, etc...but I believe that is already in the works...

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group

Date:
> > And given that we're no longer pulling in money or have actual
> > contracts on teh bannerads (which we did last time this was
> > discussed), I formally suggest that we should now go ahead
> and remove
> > them from the site as soon as we can.
> >
> > //Magnus
> I'm surprised...lots of these ads seem to be google ads, and

Google ads are only used on archives.postgresql.org, not the main
website. That's the next fight :-)

Date:

Re: Banner ads (was: On what we want to support: infrastructure?)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> Sam's Publishing was a contra deal that JoshB arranged that got free books
> for giving out at shows and such ... no idea how well that one is working
> for us, JoshB will have to comment on that ...

Actually, their 6 months are up, so that ad can come down any time.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Banner ads

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> paying someone for them...  However, I think the site has a cleaner look
>> without ads...and I agree with the statement about ads being a bit
>> "noisy"
>> (the animated ones).
>
> There are no google ads on http://www.postgresql.org, nor have there ever
> been

There is on archives and search, and they should be removed.

Date: