Re: Banner ads (was: On what we want to support: infrastructure?) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Banner ads (was: On what we want to support: infrastructure?)
Date
Re: Banner ads (was: On what we want to support: infrastructure?)  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Banner ads  (Chander Ganesan <chander@otg-nc.com>)
List pgsql-www
> >> What Josh means is that we'll be taking the ads off
> >> www.postgresql.org, not that phpPgAds will go away as a product.
> >> AFAIK, that is :)
> >
> > Yes, I understand.
> >
> > While you may not have the need to get paying advertisers,
> I feel that
> > rotating ads of open source projects which use pgsql was an
> > interesting idea, even though it was partly abandoned
> during the site restyle.
> >
> > There is a fairly good number of monthly ad impressions (without
> > banners on the home page) and it's just a pity to avoid using them.
>
> Just an aside ... the banners that are in rotation are all
> 'freebies', we haven't done a paid ad in a few months ... the
> ones that are still in rotation (CMD, EDB, Hub) are just
> companies supporting PostgreSQL (ie. developers or
> infrastructure) ... adding in appropriate open source
> projects wouldn't be a stretch, IMHO ...

(copying this thread over to -www)

I just loaded up a couple and got ads for www.samspublishing.com,
hub.org (many different), commandprompt, pgsql inc, postgresql.org (we
put ads for ourselves there? Interesting!), one for pgadmin (that came
up after only about 50 reloads), one taht says "advertise here" that
links to the wrong server.

That means that if we remove the commercial sponsor ones (which are
already listed under sponsors) and ourselves, we have *only* pgadmin
left? (And it came up extremely rarely - don't know if that's just
random, or if there is priority on the hub.org and commandprompt ones)

My personal opinion is that it looks rather unprofessional with the
bannerads. *especially* the ones that are actually animated - that looks
*really* bad. In some situations it also slows down site loading
noticably (though it's much better since the last round of fixes Marc
and me did a while back).

So I still claim we're better off finding a *different way* to promote
these OSS projects. (They're listed under /download/ now) And if the
current exposure of the sponsors isn't good enough, let's look at a
better way to do those as well.

And given that we're no longer pulling in money or have actual contracts
on teh bannerads (which we did last time this was discussed), I formally
suggest that we should now go ahead and remove them from the site as
soon as we can.

//Magnus