Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search results

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
Wouldn't this be better on -www? :-P

> I had an idea while discussing the limitations of our searching on
> irc with a few folks. As far as Google putting old 7.x and 6.x
> documentation results up, why not create a new subdomain such as
> oldocs.postgres.org and stick anything older than a version of two
> there. We could still link to it, and leave some redirects in place
> for old links, but the new subdomain would ensure that they would
> have relatively *low* Google results compared to the more recent
> docs, which is what we want.

Don't we have enough silly domains already? If we want to get rid of
those hits, why don't we just add a robots.txt and tell google not to
index the old docs at all? (If people *need* hits in the old docs, they
can always hit our own search engine for those docs)

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hello,

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 09:56 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Don't we have enough silly domains already?

Heh.

olddocs.postgresql.org
veryolddocs.postgresql.org
atticdocs.postgresq
rarelyuseddocs.postgresql.org

:)

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 29 August 2006 10:20, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 09:56 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Don't we have enough silly domains already?
>
> Heh.
>
> olddocs.postgresql.org
> veryolddocs.postgresql.org
> atticdocs.postgresq
> rarelyuseddocs.postgresql.org

ifyouarestillrunningthisversionthedocswonthelpyou.postgresql.org

--
Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 10:20, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 09:56 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Don't we have enough silly domains already?
>> Heh.
>>
>> olddocs.postgresql.org
>> veryolddocs.postgresql.org
>> atticdocs.postgresq
>> rarelyuseddocs.postgresql.org
>>

> ifyouarestillrunningthisversionthedocswonthelpyou.postgresql.org

Let's just shorten that to:

youarefscked.postgresql.org

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/