Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search results

From: Magnus Hagander
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search results
Date: ,
List: pgsql-www

Tree view

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search results  ("Magnus Hagander", )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search  (Devrim GUNDUZ, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search  (Robert Treat, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Getting better Google search  ("Joshua D. Drake", )

Wouldn't this be better on -www? :-P

> I had an idea while discussing the limitations of our searching on
> irc with a few folks. As far as Google putting old 7.x and 6.x
> documentation results up, why not create a new subdomain such as
> oldocs.postgres.org and stick anything older than a version of two
> there. We could still link to it, and leave some redirects in place
> for old links, but the new subdomain would ensure that they would
> have relatively *low* Google results compared to the more recent
> docs, which is what we want.

Don't we have enough silly domains already? If we want to get rid of
those hits, why don't we just add a robots.txt and tell google not to
index the old docs at all? (If people *need* hits in the old docs, they
can always hit our own search engine for those docs)

//Magnus