Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

Date:
Martin Marques wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:18:25 -0700, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > May I suggest that if someone is going to run a press release on the
> > PostgreSQL.Org website, that we require that the entire press release be
> > present?
> >
> > If it is just a link, we are driving readers from PostgreSQL which is
> > not IMHO appropriate. It is also irritating as we are not a "link" site.
>
> New links could be opened in a new window. Not very dificult to implement.

I prefer a one line description and a link.  I don't have any problem
with people leaving our site to see it.  We aren't selling anything.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> I prefer a one line description and a link.  I don't have any problem
> with people leaving our site to see it.  We aren't selling anything.

We most certainly are selling something. PostgreSQL.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > I prefer a one line description and a link.  I don't have any problem
> > with people leaving our site to see it.  We aren't selling anything.
>
> We most certainly are selling something. PostgreSQL.

Uh, I don't think so.  We are _offering_ it.

--

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I prefer a one line description and a link.  I don't have any problem
>>> with people leaving our site to see it.  We aren't selling anything.
>> We most certainly are selling something. PostgreSQL.
>
> Uh, I don't think so.  We are _offering_ it.

Oh good lord, lets get into a terminology argument shall we.

The point, is that we are trying to insure that PostgreSQL is the
prominent OSS database. Yes? If so....

Selling/Offering/Giving/Proliferating

Pick your word I really don't care.

It is obnoxious to have PR trolls offer only a one liner with a link to
another website without any context to the content beyond the title.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> It is obnoxious to have PR trolls offer only a one liner with a link to
> another website without any context to the content beyond the title.

Well, that's really up to the WWW approval group, isn't it?  They have the
ability to edit news items, or to reject them.  Given the amount of spam
they have to filter, I'm sure they'd be happy to have another volunteer.

Personally, I think that Martin was on the mark; we just need to transform
links so that they open in a new window ... which is probably what our
users want anyway.  But let's NOT make this a political issue, it's too
trivial.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:03:26AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >>We most certainly are selling something. PostgreSQL.
> >
> >Uh, I don't think so.  We are _offering_ it.
> >

> Oh good lord, lets get into a terminology argument shall we.

Let's not :)

> The point, is that we are trying to insure that PostgreSQL is the
> prominent OSS database. Yes? If so....
>
> Selling/Offering/Giving/Proliferating
>
> Pick your word I really don't care.
>
> It is obnoxious to have PR trolls offer only a one liner with a link
> to another website without any context to the content beyond the
> title.

In the PostgreSQL Weekly News, I put one line of description--often
not even 70 characters--and a link, but I make sure it's really
PostgreSQL content.  It's meant to take you to another site, and it's
part of why people send me things in advance for it.

But that's for PWN, which is designed to be a quick, readable summary.
What is the purpose of those news bits?  If it's to keep people on the
site, then Josh Drake's point is 100% on.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Personally, I think that Martin was on the mark; we just need to
> transform links so that they open in a new window ... which is
> probably what our users want anyway.

No, that is completely evil.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 17 May 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> I prefer a one line description and a link.  I don't have any problem
>>> with people leaving our site to see it.  We aren't selling anything.
>>
>> We most certainly are selling something. PostgreSQL.
>
> Uh, I don't think so.  We are _offering_ it.

Agreed ... if we are going to force ppl to stay on our site, then we
should just drop posting news annoucenemnts for other ppls products, which
I don't think is right ... we should be *promoting* others that use
PostgreSQL as a backend ...

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

Date:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Personally, I think that Martin was on the mark; we just need to
>> transform links so that they open in a new window ... which is
>> probably what our users want anyway.

> No, that is completely evil.

I agree with Peter.  I find sites that think they know better than I do
whether to open something in a new window truly annoying.  Not quite as
bad as popup/popunder ads, but pretty bad.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> Agreed ... if we are going to force ppl to stay on our site, then we
> should just drop posting news annoucenemnts for other ppls products,
> which I don't think is right ... we should be *promoting* others that
> use PostgreSQL as a backend ...

Of course we should but that isn't what that particular press release
does. See my other posts. I am not arguing about having press releases
or promoting other products that use our product.

I am arguing that more needs to be in the press release for us to accept it.

SIncerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Personally, I think that Martin was on the mark; we just need to
>> transform links so that they open in a new window ... which is
>> probably what our users want anyway.
>
> No, that is completely evil.

Not really, it is pretty common to open a new window "if" the link takes
you from the original site you were viewing.

Although I don't think the step is required, I think we just need to
make sure people are offering something beyond a link if we are going to
post their item.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Agreed ... if we are going to force ppl to stay on our site, then we
> > should just drop posting news annoucenemnts for other ppls products,
> > which I don't think is right ... we should be *promoting* others that
> > use PostgreSQL as a backend ...
>
> Of course we should but that isn't what that particular press release
> does. See my other posts. I am not arguing about having press releases
> or promoting other products that use our product.
>
> I am arguing that more needs to be in the press release for us to accept it.

Agreed.

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Personally, I think that Martin was on the mark; we just need to
> >> transform links so that they open in a new window ... which is
> >> probably what our users want anyway.
> >
> > No, that is completely evil.
>
> Not really, it is pretty common to open a new window "if" the link takes
> you from the original site you were viewing.

Commonly annoying it seems. ;-)

> Although I don't think the step is required, I think we just need to
> make sure people are offering something beyond a link if we are going to
> post their item.

Yep.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Personally, I think that Martin was on the mark; we just need to
>> transform links so that they open in a new window ... which is
>> probably what our users want anyway.
>
> No, that is completely evil.

I'm all applouding. Please dont do that, that is truely annoying.

Regards
Tino

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
Martin Marques
Date:
On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:03:26 -0700, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> It is obnoxious to have PR trolls offer only a one liner with a link to
> another website without any context to the content beyond the title.

Bruce said he was in favor of a one line description, so I guess you two think the same about this. :-D

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
Dave Page

On 17/5/06 19:37, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I am arguing that more needs to be in the press release for us to accept it.

Agreed.

I don’t disagree, however at the moment we don’t have any actual policy on what we should and shouldn’t approve. The only ‘rule’ that tends to get actively enforced (other than rejecting irrelevant stuff) is that we only have one product release news item per company every 6 weeks on average.

It will be on the web team meeting agenda at the conference to discuss a more formal policy to be published on the website. Comments and ideas would be welcome of course.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 5/17/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > I am arguing that more needs to be in the press release
> > for us to accept it.
>
> Agreed.

I agree as well.  The nice thing about the news items is that they're
generally a condensed version of the news item.  Based on the summary,
I decide whether I want to go read the full text.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Date:
On Wed, 17 May 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that is completely evil.
>>
>> Not really, it is pretty common to open a new window "if" the link takes
>> you from the original site you were viewing.
>
> Commonly annoying it seems. ;-)

Agree there ...

>> Although I don't think the step is required, I think we just need to
>> make sure people are offering something beyond a link if we are going to
>> post their item.
>
> Yep.

Don't disagree here ... but, its not that wide an area on the site, are
things going to look 'bunched up' if we add a 'line of text'?  Do we need
to somehow re-org the News/Events section on the site to accommodate the
extra text?

----

Date:
> Don't disagree here ... but, its not that wide an area on the site, are
> things going to look 'bunched up' if we add a 'line of text'?  Do we
> need to somehow re-org the News/Events section on the site to
> accommodate the extra text?

I am not talking about the main link off www.postgresql.org, I am
talking about the page that link brings up... look at:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.554

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Wed, 17 May 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Don't disagree here ... but, its not that wide an area on the site, are
>> things going to look 'bunched up' if we add a 'line of text'?  Do we need
>> to somehow re-org the News/Events section on the site to accommodate the
>> extra text?
>
> I am not talking about the main link off www.postgresql.org, I am talking
> about the page that link brings up... look at:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.554

D'oh, I'm sorry ... was literally on the wrong page here ... yes,
defintely, wholeheartedly agree ... there should be an actual press
release in there, IMHO ... not even just 'add a line' ... in fact, all
things considered, that is one helluva waste of a page (and a click) ...

----