Timeline on new techdocs?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Magnus tells me that the new techdocs is usable, but it's not live on the
site.  What's the timeline on enabling it?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Folks,
>
> Magnus tells me that the new techdocs is usable, but it's not
> live on the site.  What's the timeline on enabling it?

It *is* live. It's just that the old one hasn't been killed off yet. But
if you go for technical documentation under docs, you will get the new
one.

//Magnus

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Folks,
>>
>> Magnus tells me that the new techdocs is usable, but it's not
>> live on the site.  What's the timeline on enabling it?
>
> It *is* live. It's just that the old one hasn't been killed off yet. But
> if you go for technical documentation under docs, you will get the new
> one.

Should we put a Redirect onto techdocs.postgresql.org so that it goes to
the right site?

----

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> Magnus tells me that the new techdocs is usable, but it's
> not live on
> >> the site.  What's the timeline on enabling it?
> >
> > It *is* live. It's just that the old one hasn't been killed
> off yet.
> > But if you go for technical documentation under docs, you
> will get the
> > new one.
>
> Should we put a Redirect onto techdocs.postgresql.org so that
> it goes to the right site?

Eventually, but not until everything is migrated and things are properly
verified.

//Magnus

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

>> not live on
>>>
>>> It *is* live. It's just that the old one hasn't been killed
>> off yet.
>>> But if you go for technical documentation under docs, you
>> will get the
>>> new one.
>>
>> Should we put a Redirect onto techdocs.postgresql.org so that
>> it goes to the right site?
>
> Eventually, but not until everything is migrated and things are properly
> verified.

At the *very* least, those links that ppl are reporting as broken should
be added to the apache config file and redirected to the new site ... it
really doesn't look good as it is :(

----

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 15 April 2006 16:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >> not live on

> >> off yet.

> >> will get the

> >> Should we put a Redirect onto techdocs.postgresql.org so that
> >> it goes to the right site?
> >
> > Eventually, but not until everything is migrated and things are properly
> > verified.
>
> At the *very* least, those links that ppl are reporting as broken should
> be added to the apache config file and redirected to the new site ... it
> really doesn't look good as it is :(

I think your misreading the emails. There not broken links, but warnings that
php is emitting out to the page. I suspect there has been a php.ini change
that is causing this, but havent really looked (spending time on other
things, including migrating content).  I do intend to start redirecting back
to the main site, but there are some unresolved bugs I've hit so I have been
overly agressive about it.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

>>> Eventually, but not until everything is migrated and things are properly
>>> verified.
>>
>> At the *very* least, those links that ppl are reporting as broken should
>> be added to the apache config file and redirected to the new site ... it
>> really doesn't look good as it is :(
>>

> I think your misreading the emails. There not broken links, but warnings that
> php is emitting out to the page. I suspect there has been a php.ini change
> that is causing this, but havent really looked (spending time on other
> things, including migrating content).  I do intend to start redirecting back
> to the main site, but there are some unresolved bugs I've hit so I have been
> overly agressive about it.

Ah, you are right, I did mis-read ... can you post me one of those URLs,
and I can see if I can correct the PHP?

----

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 15 April 2006 22:59, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 April 2006 16:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> At the *very* least, those links that ppl are reporting as broken should
> >> be added to the apache config file and redirected to the new site ... it
> >> really doesn't look good as it is :(
> >
> > I think your misreading the emails. There not broken links, but warnings
> > that php is emitting out to the page. I suspect there has been a php.ini
> > change that is causing this, but havent really looked (spending time on
> > other things, including migrating content).  I do intend to start
> > redirecting back to the main site, but there are some unresolved bugs
> > I've hit so I have been overly agressive about it.
>
> Ah, you are right, I did mis-read ... can you post me one of those URLs,
> and I can see if I can correct the PHP?

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/redir.php?link=http://dancameron.org/pages/how-to-install-and-setup-postgresql-for-fedoralinux/

i'd start with looking up display_errors in the php.ini

--
Robert Treat

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
fixed ... changed the code so that if HTTP_REFERER isn't set (ie. you come
in directly and not through techdocs itself), it does the same as apache
logs woudl do it, and sets it to "-" ... the second error was:

   $UserID = pg_result($dbresult, 0, userid);

Instead of:

   $UserID = pg_result($dbresult, 0, "userid");

the first is read as a constant value, the second a field place within the
result set ...

Let me know if you see other stuff ...

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Saturday 15 April 2006 22:59, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>>
>>> I think your misreading the emails. There not broken links, but warnings
>>> that php is emitting out to the page. I suspect there has been a php.ini
>>> change that is causing this, but havent really looked (spending time on
>>> other things, including migrating content).  I do intend to start
>>> redirecting back to the main site, but there are some unresolved bugs
>>> I've hit so I have been overly agressive about it.
>>
>> Ah, you are right, I did mis-read ... can you post me one of those URLs,
>> and I can see if I can correct the PHP?

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/redir.php?link=http://dancameron.org/pages/how-to-install-and-setup-postgresql-for-fedoralinux/

> i'd start with looking up display_errors in the php.ini
>
> --
> Robert Treat
> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

----

Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 10:55:02PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> I think your misreading the emails. There not broken links, but warnings that
> php is emitting out to the page. I suspect there has been a php.ini change
> that is causing this, but havent really looked (spending time on other
> things, including migrating content).  I do intend to start redirecting back
> to the main site, but there are some unresolved bugs I've hit so I have been
> overly agressive about it.

<hindsight type='20/20'>
If the migration was announced on both sites the errors would at least
be more understandable to users...