search.postgresql.org

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

I was looking at our search configuration and I noted that out of a
weight of 100 we are only weighing archives at 50 and varlena at 25.

That seems a little low as archives is the primary source of pratical
and real world issues and varlena is a great resource.

Thoughts?

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: search.postgresql.org

Date:
> I was looking at our search configuration and I noted that out of a
> weight of 100 we are only weighing archives at 50 and varlena at 25.
> That seems a little low as archives is the primary source of pratical
> and real world issues and varlena is a great resource.

Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?

            regards, tom lane

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I was looking at our search configuration and I noted that out of a
>> weight of 100 we are only weighing archives at 50 and varlena at 25.
>> That seems a little low as archives is the primary source of pratical
>> and real world issues and varlena is a great resource.
>
> Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
> ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?

And maybe a short explanation of what these 'weights' are all about?  Does
that just mean that when i search for something, archives results will
always preceed varlena's?  And, if so, and we are only doing archives vs
varlena, as long as archives is weighted higher then varlena, does it
matter what the weights are?  Could be 1 + 2, no?

----

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
John Hansen
Date:
On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 02:24 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> >> I was looking at our search configuration and I noted that out of a
> >> weight of 100 we are only weighing archives at 50 and varlena at 25.
> >> That seems a little low as archives is the primary source of pratical
> >> and real world issues and varlena is a great resource.
> >
> > Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
> > ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?
>
> And maybe a short explanation of what these 'weights' are all about?  Does
> that just mean that when i search for something, archives results will
> always preceed varlena's?  And, if so, and we are only doing archives vs
> varlena, as long as archives is weighted higher then varlena, does it
> matter what the weights are?  Could be 1 + 2, no?

That's right, the siteweights are just for making sure results from one
site is displayed before another.

A search on search.postgresql.org/archives.search ONLY considers the
archives anyways.

search.postgresql.org/www.search, however, returns results from all the
indexed sites, in order of relevance, with priority according to the
siteweights.

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

>        match

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
> ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?

Below is the weights. As John said earlier they just decide who's links
show up first.

It seems to me that archives should be secondly only to
www.postgresql.org. Once the new techdocs is live and we get some solid
content on there, then we can push that up.

Thoughts?

SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://advocacy.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://jdbc.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://developer.postgresql.org/ 100

# Authoritiative project site
SiteWeight http://gborg.postgresql.org/ 75
SiteWeight http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/ 75
SiteWeight http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/ 75
SiteWeight http://pgfoundry.org/ 75

# User contributed stuff
SiteWeight http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ 50
SiteWeight http://archives.postgresql.org/ 50

# Outside but reliable
SiteWeight http://www.varlena.com/ 25

# And the rest...
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.cl/ 0
SiteWeight http://postgresql.ok.cz/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.jp/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresqlfr.org/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.linuxshare.ru/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgres.de/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.pgsqldb.org/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.org.br/ 0

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
"Dave Page"

> It seems to me that archives should be secondly only to
> www.postgresql.org.

I disagree - the web search is intended to favour factual sites over the archives which may contain incorrect info. If
youwant to search the archives only you still can.

> Once the new techdocs is live and we get some solid
> content on there, then we can push that up.

That is on www so will have the same rating.

/D

-----Unmodified Original Message-----

> Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
> ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?

Below is the weights. As John said earlier they just decide who's links
show up first.

It seems to me that archives should be secondly only to
www.postgresql.org. Once the new techdocs is live and we get some solid
content on there, then we can push that up.

Thoughts?

SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://advocacy.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://jdbc.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://developer.postgresql.org/ 100

# Authoritiative project site
SiteWeight http://gborg.postgresql.org/ 75
SiteWeight http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/ 75
SiteWeight http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/ 75
SiteWeight http://pgfoundry.org/ 75

# User contributed stuff
SiteWeight http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ 50
SiteWeight http://archives.postgresql.org/ 50

# Outside but reliable
SiteWeight http://www.varlena.com/ 25

# And the rest...
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.cl/ 0
SiteWeight http://postgresql.ok.cz/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.jp/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresqlfr.org/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.linuxshare.ru/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgres.de/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.pgsqldb.org/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.org.br/ 0

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 25 March 2006 11:58, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
> > ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?
>
> Below is the weights. As John said earlier they just decide who's links
> show up first.
>
> It seems to me that archives should be secondly only to
> www.postgresql.org. Once the new techdocs is live and we get some solid
> content on there, then we can push that up.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> # User contributed stuff
> SiteWeight http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ 50
> SiteWeight http://archives.postgresql.org/ 50

Should planetpostgresql.org get added to this section?

Also maybe Oleg/Teodor could wiegh in with which sites they are currently
indexing in pgsql.ru ?

--
Robert Treat

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
I don't understand all this thread. Manual intervention brings to nothing
all search engine ranking and usually produce very bad results.
Is't possible to use citations ?

Also, is't possible to group results by sites ? This could soften effect
of incorrect ranking. At www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch we have no manual
weight correction and trust authors of web pages.

     Oleg

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Saturday 25 March 2006 11:58, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
>>> ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?
>>
>> Below is the weights. As John said earlier they just decide who's links
>> show up first.
>>
>> It seems to me that archives should be secondly only to
>> www.postgresql.org. Once the new techdocs is live and we get some solid
>> content on there, then we can push that up.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> # User contributed stuff
>> SiteWeight http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ 50
>> SiteWeight http://archives.postgresql.org/ 50
>>

> Should planetpostgresql.org get added to this section?
>
> Also maybe Oleg/Teodor could wiegh in with which sites they are currently
> indexing in pgsql.ru ?

we have 78 sites indexed, see http://pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch/stat.html
and do nothing with weights.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: search.postgresql.org

From
"Dave Page"

> Also, is't possible to group results by sites

It does, when appropriate.

>  ? This could soften effect of incorrect
> ranking. At  www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch we > have no  manual weight correction and
> trust authors of web pages.

The config being shown is the one used for the main www.postgresql.org site search, thus results from that site are
favouredover external sites. The archives are ranked even lower because of the potential for additional noise.

www.pgsql.ru is a generic search where lack of weightings and trusting authors makes sense. search.postgresql.org
providessite searches aimed at users coming from different perspectives of our site network and we compliment the site
resultswith the external results for added value.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
I don't understand all this thread. Manual intervention brings to nothing
all search engine ranking and usually produce very bad results.
Is't possible to use citations ?

Also, is't possible to group results by sites ? This could soften effect
of incorrect ranking. At www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch we have no manual
weight correction and trust authors of web pages.

     Oleg

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Dave Page wrote:

Guillaume Smet
Dave Page wrote:
> The config being shown is the one used for the main www.postgresql.org site search, thus results from that site are
favouredover external sites. The archives are ranked even lower because of the potential for additional noise.

Speaking of that, I noticed a problem a few days ago related to the
scope of the search.

You can reproduce it this way:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/index.html

Search for alter table for example:

http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F8.1%2Finteractive%2F%25&fm=on&cs=utf-8&q=ALTER+TABLE
You have 91 results and especially the results from the documentation.

But when you click on the search button again on the results page, the
ul parameter is not here anymore and you have pretty bad results:
http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?cs=utf-8&fm=on&gr=on&o=0&ps=20&s=rate&q=ALTER+TABLE
We have only 15 results and the documentation is not there.

So we should probably keep the ul parameter in the new form when set in
the query string but I don't understand why we don't have the doc
results when ul is not there and I suspect the search should be global
in this case.

Guillaume

Re: search.postgresql.org

From