Release Announcement News Item -- please read

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW Folks,

The release announcement news item has been posted to wwwmaster.

Please DO NOT APPROVE THIS until Marc gives the thumbs-up, which will
probably be Monday AM EST.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone checked my formatting and
links. Thanks!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Release Announcement News Item -- please read

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> WWW Folks,
>
> The release announcement news item has been posted to wwwmaster.
>
> Please DO NOT APPROVE THIS until Marc gives the thumbs-up,
> which will probably be Monday AM EST.
>
> In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone checked my
> formatting and links. Thanks!

Looks good to me. One question though - is "patch release" the normal
term for these? I thought we used to call them "minor versions"?

I could well be wrong on this :-) But if "patch release" is what we call
them, I know at least one page I wrote recently (the security one) needs
updating, so it'd be good to know.

//Magnus

Re: Release Announcement News Item -- please read

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > WWW Folks,
> >
> > The release announcement news item has been posted to wwwmaster.
> >
> > Please DO NOT APPROVE THIS until Marc gives the thumbs-up,
> > which will probably be Monday AM EST.
> >
> > In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone checked my
> > formatting and links. Thanks!
>
> Looks good to me. One question though - is "patch release" the normal
> term for these? I thought we used to call them "minor versions"?
>
> I could well be wrong on this :-) But if "patch release" is what we call
> them, I know at least one page I wrote recently (the security one) needs
> updating, so it'd be good to know.

Thanks.  We are discussing it now.

Re: Release Announcement News Item -- please read

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 06 January 2006 17:03, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > WWW Folks,
> > >
> > > The release announcement news item has been posted to wwwmaster.
> > >
> > > Please DO NOT APPROVE THIS until Marc gives the thumbs-up,
> > > which will probably be Monday AM EST.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone checked my
> > > formatting and links. Thanks!
> >
> > Looks good to me. One question though - is "patch release" the normal
> > term for these? I thought we used to call them "minor versions"?
> >
> > I could well be wrong on this :-) But if "patch release" is what we call
> > them, I know at least one page I wrote recently (the security one) needs
> > updating, so it'd be good to know.

We've always referred to our versioning scheme as major.minor.revision, but...

> Thanks.  We are discussing it now.

I guess we'll see what they come up with.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Release Announcement News Item -- please read

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> > Thanks.  We are discussing it now.
>
> I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Your Suggestions Are Welcome.   Personally, I'm trying to come up with a
term that indicates this is a "fix" release and does not contain new
features or require a drop and reload.   "Minor Release" is a rather
obscure term for non-insiders.    My tendency is towards "Update Release"
or "Revision Release".

--

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > > Thanks.  We are discussing it now.
> >
> > I guess we'll see what they come up with.
>
> Your Suggestions Are Welcome.   Personally, I'm trying to come up with a
> term that indicates this is a "fix" release and does not contain new
> features or require a drop and reload.   "Minor Release" is a rather
> obscure term for non-insiders.    My tendency is towards "Update Release"
> or "Revision Release".

Service Pack?  LOL

Re: Release Announcement News Item -- please read

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Robert,

>> Your Suggestions Are Welcome.   Personally, I'm trying to come up with a
>> term that indicates this is a "fix" release and does not contain new
>> features or require a drop and reload.   "Minor Release" is a rather
>> obscure term for non-insiders.    My tendency is towards "Update Release"
>> or "Revision Release".
>
> Service Pack?  LOL

What about 8.0 update 6?

That is what Redhat does I think.. Tom?

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Release Announcement News Item -- please read

Date:
> That is what Redhat does I think.. Tom?

I like "minor release", that's what we've generally called these in the
past.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Release Announcement News Item -- please read

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

>> That is what Redhat does I think.. Tom?
>
> I like "minor release", that's what we've generally called these in the
> past.

I'm going to side with both Bruce and Tom on this one ... historically,
its what we've called it, and, as Robert states, it is how we've always
advertised things ...

----

Date:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Robert,

>>> I guess we'll see what they come up with.
>>
>> Your Suggestions Are Welcome.   Personally, I'm trying to come up with a
>> term that indicates this is a "fix" release and does not contain new
>> features or require a drop and reload.   "Minor Release" is a rather
>> obscure term for non-insiders.    My tendency is towards "Update Release"
>> or "Revision Release".
>
> Service Pack?  LOL

'k, now you are quickly losing any support from me >:)

----

Date:
> > In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone checked my formatting
> > and links. Thanks!
>
> Looks good to me. One question though - is "patch release"
> the normal term for these? I thought we used to call them
> "minor versions"?
>
> I could well be wrong on this :-) But if "patch release" is
> what we call them, I know at least one page I wrote recently
> (the security one) needs updating, so it'd be good to know.

Seems the release announcement calls it both critical release, minor
release and patch version. So I'll just approve this news item without
editing. Should be up on the site next regen.

//Magnus