a few webby things

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Web maintainers,

I don't usually get into website stuff, and don't read the list, but
here are a couple questions/suggestions and one plea for help.

1. I was recently given the honor of being made a committer (somewhat to
my surprise). It occurred to me then that I didn't know who all the
committers were. So I went to the web site but didn't see the info
anywhere. Maybe a separate section on the developers page, or a little
icon to distinguish them, would be a good thing. This isn't because I
want to blow my own horn but because others might have the same question
I did.

2. Has anyone ever tried to produce a version of the docs with a
navigation sidebar? I often use the web site docs but I would like
something like the Table of Contents as a sidebar (maybe in it own
frame) that would help navigate without having to go to the top all the
time. That would be a great advance. I'm suggesting it as an additional
option, not to replace the existing docs setup.

3. As you probably know, I run the postgresql buildfarm. Not too long
ago we added to our dashboard page some little icons that show configure
flags that were used on the build: see
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl . Ive looked at using
text instead of these icons, but the results weren't very pleasing.
Michael Glaesmann, who devised our theme, tried making some little text
bearing icons, but I didn't like those much either. However, the icons
we have aren't very good either; they jar visually, and I'd like
something better. They need to be tiny - ideally 16x16. Any help would
be appreciated.

(make sure I'm cc'd on replies, please)

cheers

andrew

Re: a few webby things

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Web maintainers,
>
> I don't usually get into website stuff, and don't read the
> list, but here are a couple questions/suggestions and one
> plea for help.
>
> 1. I was recently given the honor of being made a committer
> (somewhat to my surprise). It occurred to me then that I
> didn't know who all the committers were. So I went to the web
> site but didn't see the info anywhere. Maybe a separate
> section on the developers page, or a little icon to
> distinguish them, would be a good thing. This isn't because I
> want to blow my own horn but because others might have the
> same question I did.

This sounds like a good idea. I don't know who they are either :-)
(apart from the usual suspects, of course) If someone can cook up the
complete list, adding it to the page should be trivial.

> 2. Has anyone ever tried to produce a version of the docs
> with a navigation sidebar? I often use the web site docs but
> I would like something like the Table of Contents as a
> sidebar (maybe in it own
> frame) that would help navigate without having to go to the
> top all the time. That would be a great advance. I'm
> suggesting it as an additional option, not to replace the
> existing docs setup.

This also sounds like a good idea. I dunno if it has been tried though -
if not, it sounds like it could be worth one. Dave, you did the docs
stuff, right? Ever tried this?

[snip the image stuff, really can't help you there]

//Magnus

Re: a few webby things

From
"Dave Page"

All I did was db-ise it. I haven't got the foggiest how to put a toc
down the side, except perhaps by making use of the 'make htmlhelp' build
target to build a file to include. The downside is that it's pretty
large (207Kb for beta2), and a pita to build as Andrew knows (out of
about 10 machines we tried on, his was the only non-64bit one that it
successfully built on on Friday night).

Regards, Dave.