Wiki?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Could I convince someone to set up a Wiki?  I don't mean to replace any
of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to
use one.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Wiki?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> Could I convince someone to set up a Wiki?  I don't mean to replace any
> of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to
> use one.

here:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides

Although we really need something better than zwiki 0.5 for the long
haul ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Wiki?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Mediawiki (what wikipedia uses) seems pretty nice.  I could give a
stab at setting it up.  Do we need another place to run it, or can it
run on borg?

Gavin

On Sep 6, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Peter,
>

>> Could I convince someone to set up a Wiki?  I don't mean to
>> replace any
>> of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to
>> use one.
>>

> here:
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides
>
> Although we really need something better than zwiki 0.5 for the long
> haul ...
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
gmr@ehpg.net

Re: Wiki?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Err, didn't realize it was *cough*MySQL only.  :-\

On Sep 6, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> Mediawiki (what wikipedia uses) seems pretty nice.  I could give a
> stab at setting it up.  Do we need another place to run it, or can
> it run on borg?
>
> Gavin
>
> On Sep 6, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>> Peter,
>>

>>> Could I convince someone to set up a Wiki?  I don't mean to
>>> replace any
>>> of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the
>>> urge to
>>> use one.
>>>

>> here:
>> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides
>>
>> Although we really need something better than zwiki 0.5 for the long
>> haul ...
>>
>> --
>> --Josh
>>
>> Josh Berkus
>> Aglio Database Solutions
>> San Francisco

>>                http://archives.postgresql.org
>>

> Gavin M. Roy
> 800 Pound Gorilla
> gmr@ehpg.net

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
gmr@ehpg.net

Re: Wiki?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> Mediawiki (what wikipedia uses) seems pretty nice.  I could give a  stab
> at setting it up.  Do we need another place to run it, or can it  run on
> borg?

Not to be a fly in the ointment but:

Why oh why yet another content infrastructure? Can't we get techdocs
fixed/updated/removed something... before we put resources into yet
more infrastructure?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Gavin
>
> On Sep 6, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Peter,
>>

>>> Could I convince someone to set up a Wiki?  I don't mean to  replace any
>>> of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to
>>> use one.
>>>

>> here:
>> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides
>>
>> Although we really need something better than zwiki 0.5 for the long
>> haul ...
>>
>> --
>> --Josh
>>
>> Josh Berkus
>> Aglio Database Solutions
>> San Francisco
>>
>> ---------------------------(end of  broadcast)---------------------------
>>
>>                http://archives.postgresql.org
>>

> Gavin M. Roy
> 800 Pound Gorilla
> gmr@ehpg.net

Re: Wiki?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Why oh why yet another content infrastructure? Can't we get techdocs
> fixed/updated/removed something... before we put resources into yet
> more infrastructure?

Well, my personal $0.02 for Techdocs was to simply put up a
PostgreSQL-based Wiki which supports authenticated users.  However, some
folks had more sophisticated ideas.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Wiki?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>Well, my personal $0.02 for Techdocs was to simply put up a
>PostgreSQL-based Wiki which supports authenticated users.  However, some
>folks had more sophisticated ideas.

Wasn't someone working on a new techdocs? What ever happen to that? I
mean I have a perfectly
good FreeBSD machine here doing nothing, that is more than capable of
handling something like
Bricolage with mod_perl while waiting to be the backup pgfoundry machine.

I could also put it on my lovely dual opteron where pgbuildfarm sits (if
someone prefers Linux).
We could the CpCMS if  people want, however it is not OSS (I would of
course donate a license
so long term support would never be an issue).

I would suggest Framewerk but it appears to have silently died or at
least the old website is gone...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Wiki?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Framewerk is nearing Beta.  I'm unveiling a new website, design, and
documentation.  I'd love to set techdocs up with it as soon as it's
ready, but don't want to push another CVS version based site out.
Would rather wait another week or two and set things up right.  I did
originally offer to do techdocs on Framewerk, and someone else more
recently came along and wanted to do something different, MSDN like
if I remember correctly.

Anyway, if you guys want to wait a couple weeks, I'll do up a proper
techdocs with users, cms, cmsWiki (where users can offer revisions
into the CMS but they don't go live without approval), and wiki ability.

Gavin

On Sep 6, 2005, at 6:21 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Well, my personal $0.02 for Techdocs was to simply put up a
>> PostgreSQL-based Wiki which supports authenticated users.
>> However, some folks had more sophisticated ideas.
>>

> Wasn't someone working on a new techdocs? What ever happen to that?
> I mean I have a perfectly
> good FreeBSD machine here doing nothing, that is more than capable
> of handling something like
> Bricolage with mod_perl while waiting to be the backup pgfoundry
> machine.
>
> I could also put it on my lovely dual opteron where pgbuildfarm
> sits (if someone prefers Linux).
> We could the CpCMS if  people want, however it is not OSS (I would
> of course donate a license
> so long term support would never be an issue).
>
> I would suggest Framewerk but it appears to have silently died or
> at least the old website is gone...
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
gmr@ehpg.net

Re: Wiki?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Suggestions on a particular package you would like to see put up?  I have
no experience with any, but am willing to get anything you'd like to try
put online ...

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Could I convince someone to set up a Wiki?  I don't mean to replace any
> of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to
> use one.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

----

Re: Wiki?

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, that was Gevik. He kinda slowed down because no one had time to do
any testing for him as at the time those of us that had been helping him
were rushing to get other things done before feature freeze.

Regards, Dave

Re: Wiki?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> Yes, that was Gevik. He kinda slowed down because no one had time to do
> any testing for him as at the time those of us that had been helping him
> were rushing to get other things done before feature freeze.

Yeah?  Let me find my login, then ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Wiki?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Why oh why yet another content infrastructure? Can't we get techdocs
> fixed/updated/removed something... before we put resources into yet
> more infrastructure?

What imagine doing with a Wiki has nothing to do with what techdocs
does.  In particular, I occasionally would like to use a Wiki as a
notepad for tracking development issues.  Just to pick a random
example, this could be used to gather notes on SQL feature conformance.
It could also be used for the regular must-fix-before-release list.

--
Peter Eisentraut