Proposed change to Lists page

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Based on a lot of annoying bounces on the lists I maintain, I'd like to add
the following text to http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/

"Please do not subscribe to mailing lists using e-mail accounts protected by
"Junker" or other e-mail-back anti-spam systems.   These are extremely
annoying to the list maintainers, and you will be automatically
unsubscribed."

As moderator on 4 lists, I see about 20 of these a day and it's getting really
annoying.  Don't people *think*?!?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Proposed change to Lists page

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 07:53:43PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Based on a lot of annoying bounces on the lists I maintain, I'd like to add
> the following text to http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
>
> "Please do not subscribe to mailing lists using e-mail accounts protected by
> "Junker" or other e-mail-back anti-spam systems.   These are extremely
> annoying to the list maintainers, and you will be automatically
> unsubscribed."
>
> As moderator on 4 lists, I see about 20 of these a day and it's getting really
> annoying.  Don't people *think*?!?

(or whatever address is subscribed) from any lists it's on, pgsql-sql
in particular?  I've been devnulling it for months, but I see in my
logs that I'm still getting crap from it.  Thanks.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Proposed change to Lists page

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Already done ...

----

Re: Proposed change to Lists page

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Folks,
>
> Based on a lot of annoying bounces on the lists I maintain,
> I'd like to add the following text to
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
>
> "Please do not subscribe to mailing lists using e-mail
> accounts protected by
> "Junker" or other e-mail-back anti-spam systems.   These are
> extremely
> annoying to the list maintainers, and you will be
> automatically unsubscribed."

Seems reasonable, updated. (I changed it a little bit in an attempt to
make it clearer - for example, those who have no idea what Junker is
would just have a lot harder time understanding it then).

> As moderator on 4 lists, I see about 20 of these a day and
> it's getting really annoying.  Don't people *think*?!?

No. You should've learned that by now :-)

//Magnus

Date:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 07:53:43PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Based on a lot of annoying bounces on the lists I maintain, I'd like to add
> the following text to http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
>
> "Please do not subscribe to mailing lists using e-mail accounts protected by
> "Junker" or other e-mail-back anti-spam systems.   These are extremely
> annoying to the list maintainers, and you will be automatically
> unsubscribed."

For the past week I've been receiving autoreplies from
rabuh.sspam@uol.com.br in response to posts on pgsql-general and
pgsql-sql.  My mail filters are automatically deleting these messages
but they might be annoying to others.  In accordance with the above
policy, how should we nominate somebody to be unsubscribed?

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Proposed change to Lists page

Date:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> For the past week I've been receiving autoreplies from
> rabuh.sspam@uol.com.br in response to posts on pgsql-general and
> pgsql-sql.  My mail filters are automatically deleting these messages
> but they might be annoying to others.  In accordance with the above
> policy, how should we nominate somebody to be unsubscribed?

The usual procedure is that you let Marc (scrappy at hub dot org) know
about it, and the offender will be summarily unsubscribed.  Autoreplies
to list traffic are considered sufficient grounds for ejection around
here.  Personally, I might cut people a break for a misconfigured
"vacation" program, on the expectation that the annoyance is temporary
... but don't *ever* send me a prove-you-aren't-spam challenge in
response to mail from a list you subscribed to.

(BTW, right at the moment Marc is on vacation, so don't expect super
fast response...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Proposed change to Lists page

From