Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hi All,
>
> Having spent a couple of hours playing with Bricolage and
> read the docs, I find it to be a very powerful backed system
> for a CMS. However I was wondering if we need all this or is
> there any yet simpler CMS system that meets our needs?
> Bricolage being so huge I find it to be overkill.
> But this is my humble opinion. My knowledge stops where perl
> comes in really.
>
> What do you think?

I do believe Bricolage does a whole lot of stuff we don't need. If it is
as easy/easier to get going than something less capable, I don't see
that as a problem. Only if Bricolage reqiures *more* work than the less
capable (but capable enough) solution it becomes a problem.

Personally I don't really care Bricolage vs others - but it has to be
something that has a relatively low maintenance burden once it's set up.
And it has to be really easy for contributors to get their stuff in.

You know from previous posts what I *think* about these major CMS vs
really-simple-roll-your-own, but that's just my personal guesses. It's
the end reuslt that counts - and whichever tool fits best to get there
should be used. If you have another CMS in mind that fits the need, then
I definitly think it's worth investigating in parallell with bricolage
to determine which would be better long-term.

//Magnus

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > > Rod,

> > > I am.   And I think others will be to.  If the templates
> are set up,
> > > submitting stuff as a writer is easy.

And this is the main point. As long as it's easy, content writers will
probably be happy regardless of the tool. They should focus on
*content*, and usually that's what they want. As long as the tool is
"reasonably like other tools" and doesn't invent something completely
new, it shouldn't be ap roblem.

> > I would be willing.
>
> Great. Please forward some content samples and directions on
> how to access this Bricolage installation so I can setup the
> element blocks and templates.

http://techdocs.postgresql.org

AFAIK the idea is to migrate all content (checking that it's still
current). Check for example "Josh Berkus adventures" (love the title!)

//Magnus

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
Ken,

It is nice to know that this is been investigated before. I guess it will
save us time again.

Regards,
Gevik.

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
"Dave Page"

Ehh? Why, have you got an army of technical authors ready to let loose
on it or something?

:-)

Don't forget the visitors to the content will see it published on the
main site's frontend servers, of which there are a number distributed
around the world.

Regards, Dave.

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
Kenneth Marshall
Date:
Gevik,

Please do not misunderstand me. I have reviewed various systems for
my work at Rice University, not with regards to the PostgreSQL website
re-do. In my review, I ranked systems higher with regards to two main
criteria:

  1. The ability to support very high traffic web sites and provide
     a simple way to setup mirror sites.
  2. The ability to provide a level of abstraction that would allow
     non-web/HTML savvy individuals to produce quality content.
  3. The ability to update to new styles and layout easily using
     existing content.

These goals allow the content generation to be separated from the
display/design process and make all our content writers more productive
as a result. I do think that these goals make sense for the postgresql.org
site as well.

Ken

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:36:41PM +0200, Gevik babakhani wrote:
> Ken,
>
> It is nice to know that this is been investigated before. I guess it will
> save us time again.
>
> Regards,
> Gevik.

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
:)

> Ehh? Why, have you got an army of technical authors ready to let loose
> on it or something?

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> Don't forget the visitors to the content will see it published on the
> main site's frontend servers, of which there are a number distributed
> around the world.

Right.  Drupal doesn't support that, that I know of.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
"Dave Page"

Ahh, I see what you mean. We could probably make it do so using the
static mirror build script that we use on the main site though, assuming
it's URLs don't contain GET variables.

Anyway, use whatever you like - it makes no difference to me if it all
goes through CVS :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: PGDN and Bricolage.

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
Josh and Dave,

I was thinking of:
1. Generating the content with drupal
2. Extract the bare content to disk as static files
3. Generate a treeview of the extracted content.
4. View the extracted content by current framework using the current
templating engine inside the MSDN style tree
5. The current templating engine can be used to view the extracted content
in any format.

- The extract content can be put inside CVS to be replicated.
- The current templating engine can also be used to create ratings for any
article

Regards,
Gevik.