Assistance required for PlanetPostgreSQL.org design

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Assistance required for PlanetPostgreSQL.org design

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 13 June 2005 18:47, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure that some of you are aware: We have a blog aggregator of
> PostgreSQL people: http://PlanetPostgreSQL.org.
>
> It needs a new design. All we need is to do play with a css file
> (http://planetpostgresql.org/planet.css) and a template file that makes up
> the main web site.
>
> If anyone is interested with playing the CSS, etc, could you please drop
> me an e-mail so that I can send you the files? More people means more
> templates for us, that we can switch after some more time :-)

What's your opinion on making a design based on the postgresql.org design?

--
Robert Treat

Date:

Re: Assistance required for PlanetPostgreSQL.org design

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I'm not that excited about that -- The Foundation site and main web site
> are now similar. Also bizgres one. I think we should be different,
> keeping the color scheme of PostgreSQL.org.

I think staying similar to the PostgreSQL.Org site would be a good
thing. You don't have to use the same colors (like bizgres) but a
similar layout and fonts just adds the community feel.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Cheers,
> - --
> Devrim GUNDUZ
> devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
> http://www.tdmsoft.com.tr                      http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Assistance required for PlanetPostgreSQL.org design

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I'm looking to see if my new employer would be willing to donate a
design.  I should have an answer by tomorrow.

Gavin

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I'm not that excited about that -- The Foundation site and main web
>> site are now similar. Also bizgres one. I think we should be
>> different, keeping the color scheme of PostgreSQL.org.
>

> I think staying similar to the PostgreSQL.Org site would be a good
> thing. You don't have to use the same colors (like bizgres) but a
> similar layout and fonts just adds the community feel.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> Cheers,
>> - --
>> Devrim GUNDUZ
>> devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
>> http://www.tdmsoft.com.tr                      http://www.gunduz.org

>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: Assistance required for PlanetPostgreSQL.org design

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Jun 14, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I'm not that excited about that -- The Foundation site and main
>> web site are now similar. Also bizgres one. I think we should be
>> different, keeping the color scheme of PostgreSQL.org.
>>

> I think staying similar to the PostgreSQL.Org site would be a good
> thing. You don't have to use the same colors (like bizgres) but a
> similar layout and fonts just adds the community feel.

I agree with Josh, here. Having a design that's similar to the
www.postgresql.org site strengthens the apparent presence of
PostgreSQL on the web. With many different designs, people may wonder
if it's at all related to www.postgresql.org. Granted, it's a
different domain, but the people involved are active members are
actively involved in the PostgreSQL community, and that can be
visually reinforced with a similar design.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Date:
On Monday 13 June 2005 22:12, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> I'm not that excited about that -- The Foundation site and main
> >> web site are now similar. Also bizgres one. I think we should be
> >> different, keeping the color scheme of PostgreSQL.org.
> >
> > I think staying similar to the PostgreSQL.Org site would be a good
> > thing. You don't have to use the same colors (like bizgres) but a
> > similar layout and fonts just adds the community feel.
>
> I agree with Josh, here. Having a design that's similar to the
> www.postgresql.org site strengthens the apparent presence of
> PostgreSQL on the web. With many different designs, people may wonder
> if it's at all related to www.postgresql.org. Granted, it's a
> different domain, but the people involved are active members are
> actively involved in the PostgreSQL community, and that can be
> visually reinforced with a similar design.

Eh, I could go either way on this.  Keeping similar colors and fonts with a
different layout should pull it together close enough, and there is something
to be said for keeping some distance, so people don't get the idea that these
posts are official opinions of the project itself.   Of course the real
deciding factor will be who steps up to do it first. :-)

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Jun 14, 2005, at 11:20 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

> Of course the real
> deciding factor will be who steps up to do it first. :-)

Isn't that the truth! :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com