Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 20:54, Leon Brooks wrote:
> ...right up front on your "About" page that pg scales from handheld
> "embedded" databases up into the terabyte range and is in constant daily
> use for large mission-critical applications around the world.
>
> I know it's implied in the case studies and all, but I've had a number of
> PHBs refuse to install it recently because they're not sure that it's
> eaither reliable or scalable. If you can add one short par near the top of
> your About page, I can point them to "postgresql.org/about" in a heartbeat.
>
> They won't be so interested in the feature list you already have there, as
> in what they can get out of the first two paragraphs of plain English (or
> plain insert-translation-here).

I am thinking to update this section to the following wording, please lmk if
there should be additions or changes:

PostgreSQL is an enterprise class, highly-scalable, object-relational database
management system (ORDBMS).  PostgreSQL is available on more than a dozen
different platforms, and scales from 1 user, single-desktop sized programs to
extremly large, mission-critical applications with 1000's of users and/or
terrabytes worth of data.

PostgreSQL is a decendant of the POSTGRES project created at the Univeristy of
California at Berkely Computer Science Department, which pioneered many
concepts that only became available in some commercial systems much later.
In addition to a high-level of SQL-92, SQL:99, and SQL:2003 support, it
offers many modern features including:

    * complex queries
    * foriegn keys
    * triggers
    * full ACID compliance
    * multi-version concurrency control
    * savepoints
    * tablespaces

Additionally, PostgreSQL can be entended by the user in many ways, for example
by adding new:
    *  data types
    * functions
    * operators
    * aggregate functions
    * index methods
    * procedural languages

And because of the liberal license, PostgreSQL can be used, modified, and
distributed by everyone free of charge for any purpose, be it private,
commercial, or academic.

--
Robert Treat

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I am thinking to update this section to the following wording, please lmk
> if there should be additions or changes:

Didn't someone offer us a rather extensive ABOUT section shortly before the
8.0 release?  What happened to that?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On Tuesday 07 June 2005 12:39, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > I am thinking to update this section to the following wording, please lmk
> > if there should be additions or changes:
>
> Didn't someone offer us a rather extensive ABOUT section shortly before the
> 8.0 release?  What happened to that?

Yes, they did (They being Mike Owens, I tracked it down). I've updated the
About page and History page to use that text. If everyone could take a look
and see if they want anything changed.

http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/
http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/history

--
Robert Treat

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/
> http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/history

Line edits:

ABOUT
Highly Customizable -- First Paragraph
PostgreSQL runs stored procedures in Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl, C/C++,
    add: ... in more than a dozen programming languages, including Java, ...
and its own PL/pgSQL, which is similar to Oracle's PL/SQL. Included with
it's standard function library are hundreds of built-in functions that
        should be "its" not "it's"
range from basic math and string operations to cryptography and Oracle
compatibility.

HISTORY

Replace first paragraph with:
"Given its powerful and advanced features, you may wonder how such a
valuable piece of software came to be both free and open source.  As with
many other key open source projects, the answer lies at the University of
California at Berkeley (UCB)."

2nd paragraph:
Change "University of California at Berkeley" to "UCB"
Change "ultimately" to "eventually".

3rd paragraph:
Change "PostgreSQL" to "Postgres"

List of PostgreSQL Features:
Remove MVCC.   This was a feature of the orginal POSTGRES system and was
*not* added after 6.0.

Next to Last Paragraph:
Other companies such as Fujutsi, BASF, and Afilias are using PostgreSQL to
power their companies and even parts of the Internet.
Replace with:
Many other organizations and companies like NTT Data, Procergs and the
National Weather Service are using PostgreSQL support their enterprises
and parts of the Internet.  Today, it's rare to find a large corporation
or government agency which isn't using PostgreSQL in at least one
department.

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Next to Last Paragraph:
> Other companies such as Fujutsi, BASF, and Afilias are using PostgreSQL to
> power their companies and even parts of the Internet.
> Replace with:

> Many other organizations and companies like NTT Data, Procergs and the
> National Weather Service are using PostgreSQL support their enterprises
> and parts of the Internet.  Today, it's rare to find a large corporation
> or government agency which isn't using PostgreSQL in at least one
> department.

I think that the above sells PostgreSQL short. Who is NTT Data?
Procergs? How about:

Many organizations, government agencies and companies use PostgreSQL.
You will find installations in ADP, CISCO, NTT Data, NOAA, Research In
Motion, The US Forestry Service and The American Chemical Society.
Today, it's rare to find a large corporation or government agency which
isn't using PostgreSQL in at least one department.

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>

>>I think that the above sells PostgreSQL short. Who is NTT Data?
>>Procergs? How about:
>

> Oh, and just so you know, NTT Data is a multi-billion dollar
> telecommunications company (and a PG contributor) and Procergs is the
> largest IT consulting company in Brazil.

NTT Data is Japaneese though, which was my actual point :). I am betting
that most of our potential users will not know who they are. Not that
they are not an important contributor, they obviously are, just that if
I said that their name to most of my customers I would get a blank stare.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting
Home of PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> I think that the above sells PostgreSQL short. Who is NTT Data?
> Procergs? How about:

Oh, and just so you know, NTT Data is a multi-billion dollar
telecommunications company (and a PG contributor) and Procergs is the
largest IT consulting company in Brazil.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
JD,

> Many organizations, government agencies and companies use PostgreSQL.
> You will find installations in ADP, CISCO, NTT Data, NOAA, Research In
> Motion, The US Forestry Service and The American Chemical Society.
> Today, it's rare to find a large corporation or government agency which
> isn't using PostgreSQL in at least one department.

Keen, looks nice.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant
josh@agliodbs.com     www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500    Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200    San Francisco, CA

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Josh,
> >

> >>I think that the above sells PostgreSQL short. Who is NTT Data?
> >>Procergs? How about:
> >

> > Oh, and just so you know, NTT Data is a multi-billion dollar
> > telecommunications company (and a PG contributor) and Procergs is the
> > largest IT consulting company in Brazil.
>
> NTT Data is Japaneese though, which was my actual point :). I am betting
> that most of our potential users will not know who they are. Not that

Sigh. Japan is the second largest economy in the world. NTT Data is its
largest company. People know who they are.

Gavin

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Sigh. Japan is the second largest economy in the world. NTT Data is its
> largest company. People know who they are.

Really? You haven't met many US guys have you ;). I am teasing but I
actually checked with a couple of my customers before I made that statement.

They don't. That is not to say that no one does, but just to say that
many if most US businessmen don't. Does the CEO of CISCO know who they
are? Probably. The CEO of a 100 person 20 million dollar a year
Insurance Agency? No.

Guess which one (in general) is more likely to use PostgreSQL...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting
Home of PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org

Re: [webmaster] Please mention...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2005 00:51 schrieb Joshua D. Drake:
> I think that the above sells PostgreSQL short. Who is NTT Data?
> Procergs?

For what it's worth, who or what is ADP, NOAA, or Research in Motion?  Don't
answer, I can look it up, but I really wouldn't know otherwise.  (I knew who
NTT was, btw.)

It might make sense to link the names to the web sites of the companies.

Date:
On Thursday 28 July 2005 18:44, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/
> > http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/history
<snip>
> List of PostgreSQL Features:
> Remove MVCC.   This was a feature of the orginal POSTGRES system and was
> *not* added after 6.0.

Left this, Vadim added this roundabouts version 6.5. 0ld sk00l yo!

> Next to Last Paragraph:
> Other companies such as Fujutsi, BASF, and Afilias are using PostgreSQL to
> power their companies and even parts of the Internet.
> Replace with:
> Many other organizations and companies like NTT Data, Procergs and the
> National Weather Service are using PostgreSQL support their enterprises
> and parts of the Internet.  Today, it's rare to find a large corporation
> or government agency which isn't using PostgreSQL in at least one
> department.

Went with Joshua's text here.

Otherwise changes have been committed.  Thanks everyone.

--
Robert Treat