Re: [webmaster] Please mention... - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [webmaster] Please mention...
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 20:54, Leon Brooks wrote:
> ...right up front on your "About" page that pg scales from handheld
> "embedded" databases up into the terabyte range and is in constant daily
> use for large mission-critical applications around the world.
>
> I know it's implied in the case studies and all, but I've had a number of
> PHBs refuse to install it recently because they're not sure that it's
> eaither reliable or scalable. If you can add one short par near the top of
> your About page, I can point them to "postgresql.org/about" in a heartbeat.
>
> They won't be so interested in the feature list you already have there, as
> in what they can get out of the first two paragraphs of plain English (or
> plain insert-translation-here).

I am thinking to update this section to the following wording, please lmk if
there should be additions or changes:

PostgreSQL is an enterprise class, highly-scalable, object-relational database
management system (ORDBMS).  PostgreSQL is available on more than a dozen
different platforms, and scales from 1 user, single-desktop sized programs to
extremly large, mission-critical applications with 1000's of users and/or
terrabytes worth of data.

PostgreSQL is a decendant of the POSTGRES project created at the Univeristy of
California at Berkely Computer Science Department, which pioneered many
concepts that only became available in some commercial systems much later.
In addition to a high-level of SQL-92, SQL:99, and SQL:2003 support, it
offers many modern features including:

    * complex queries
    * foriegn keys
    * triggers
    * full ACID compliance
    * multi-version concurrency control
    * savepoints
    * tablespaces

Additionally, PostgreSQL can be entended by the user in many ways, for example
by adding new:
    *  data types
    * functions
    * operators
    * aggregate functions
    * index methods
    * procedural languages

And because of the liberal license, PostgreSQL can be used, modified, and
distributed by everyone free of charge for any purpose, be it private,
commercial, or academic.

--
Robert Treat