Site way slow, please check

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
People,

Starting at about 10pm PST, www.postgresql.org got *real* slow, according to
several people in different countries.   And we haven't been slashdotted yet!

Please check on what could be slamming the servers.   Thanks!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

Yup, I'm seeing that as well - judging by a quick ps, it *looks* like
it's bittorrent that's killing it, along with a fair few hits on the ftp
server. Unfortunately there's not much I can do as it's in a VM, and
things like top don't work from there so I can't check properly.

Going on IRC to chat about it I'm told you just went to sleep.... I'll
do what I can, but I know nothing about BT :-(

Regards, Dave.

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi,

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Starting at about 10pm PST, www.postgresql.org got *real* slow, according to
> several people in different countries.   And we haven't been slashdotted yet!

It *was* really slow a few hours ago, right now it looks belly-up, I'm
getting timeouts. :[

Any backup plans? The annnouncements are already all over the Russian
sites, I presume they'll soon appear everywhere.

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
I see redirect from www.postgresql.org to borg.postgresql.org. Weird.

     Oleg
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Starting at about 10pm PST, www.postgresql.org got *real* slow, according
>> to several people in different countries.   And we haven't been slashdotted
>> yet!
>
> It *was* really slow a few hours ago, right now it looks belly-up, I'm
> getting timeouts. :[
>
> Any backup plans? The annnouncements are already all over the Russian sites,
> I presume they'll soon appear everywhere.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
www.postgesql.org has been redirected by Dave to borg.postgresql.org to
handle the load - www. fell over completely.

Right now, we're waiting for Marc to answer Daves page and update the
DNS record so we can get some round-robin between more than one server
too - hopefully before we get hit with the actual slashdot effect when
the US wakes up for real.

//Magnus

Date:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> www.postgesql.org has been redirected by Dave to borg.postgresql.org to
> handle the load - www. fell over completely.

I think redirecting just images would help ! It's very bad server which
is mostly static couldn't hold load. It's interesting to see later what
was peak rate.

Date:
> > www.postgesql.org has been redirected by Dave to
> borg.postgresql.org
> > to handle the load - www. fell over completely.
>
> I think redirecting just images would help ! It's very bad
> server which is mostly static couldn't hold load. It's
> interesting to see later what was peak rate.

It fell over with less load than there is now, and right now borg is
taking 18 req/sec. So it definitly fell at a very low load. Though the
same box also runs the ftp server, and there was some load from that
one.

//Magnus

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

And bittorrent, and rsync, and is one of the mail servers...

Borg is otherwise idle. For interest:

Current Time: Wednesday, 19-Jan-2005 04:29:29 PST
Restart Time: Wednesday, 19-Jan-2005 03:39:46 PST
Parent Server Generation: 7
Server uptime: 49 minutes 43 seconds
Total accesses: 81525 - Total Traffic: 589.6 MB
CPU Usage: u1.85156 s2.42188 cu0 cs0 - .143% CPU load
27.3 requests/sec - 202.4 kB/second - 7.4 kB/request
147 requests currently being processed, 83 idle servers

/D

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
Oleg Bartunov
>>> I think redirecting just images would help ! It's very bad
>>> server which is mostly static couldn't hold load. It's
>>> interesting to see later what was peak rate.
>>
>> It fell over with less load than there is now, and right now borg is
>> taking 18 req/sec. So it definitly fell at a very low load. Though the
>> same box also runs the ftp server, and there was some load from that
>> one.
>
> And bittorrent, and rsync, and is one of the mail servers...
>
> Borg is otherwise idle. For interest:
>
> Current Time: Wednesday, 19-Jan-2005 04:29:29 PST
> Restart Time: Wednesday, 19-Jan-2005 03:39:46 PST
> Parent Server Generation: 7
> Server uptime: 49 minutes 43 seconds
> Total accesses: 81525 - Total Traffic: 589.6 MB
> CPU Usage: u1.85156 s2.42188 cu0 cs0 - .143% CPU load
> 27.3 requests/sec - 202.4 kB/second - 7.4 kB/request
> 147 requests currently being processed, 83 idle servers

rather irresponsibly to mess all services.

> /D

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

Huh? Sorry, don't understand that.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

We have thought before, in fact I for one have done a *lot* of work on
the mirroring and related bits of the infrastructure. The problem is one
of time - I simply didn't have enough to get all my planned work done
before release.

BTW, the problems seen today seem to be entirely caused by Apache's
access logging. With it turned off, the 3 servers hosting
www.postgresql.org are purring along (including svr4 which now has rsync
re-enabled).

/D

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
Oleg Bartunov
>> rather irresponsibly to mess all services.
>
> Huh? Sorry, don't understand that.

I meant, predicting "warmed up" interest to www.postgresql.org and knowing
about not well-scaled web architecture, messing all services on one server
was not a wise solution. We're lucky, that, you, Dave and Magnus were in place.
Next time, lets think before. I proposed several times architecture that
works well in very big servers. Nothing new, it's already de facto standard.

> Regards, Dave.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
Oleg Bartunov

>>> Huh? Sorry, don't understand that.
>>
>> I meant, predicting "warmed up" interest to
>> www.postgresql.org and knowing
>> about not well-scaled web architecture, messing all services
>> on one server
>> was not a wise solution. We're lucky, that, you, Dave and
>> Magnus were in place.
>> Next time, lets think before. I proposed several times
>> architecture that
>> works well in very big servers. Nothing new, it's already de
>> facto standard.
>
> We have thought before, in fact I for one have done a *lot* of work on
> the mirroring and related bits of the infrastructure. The problem is one
> of time - I simply didn't have enough to get all my planned work done
> before release.

I see, let me know when you decide to work on infrastructure.

> BTW, the problems seen today seem to be entirely caused by Apache's
> access logging. With it turned off, the 3 servers hosting
> www.postgresql.org are purring along (including svr4 which now has rsync
> re-enabled).

dns-resolving in apache logs was switched off and redirected logs to separate
disk ?

> /D

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

Logs were switched off altogether (the servers only have one raid
array).

Regards, Dave

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>> BTW, the problems seen today seem to be entirely caused by Apache's
>> access logging. With it turned off, the 3 servers hosting
>> www.postgresql.org are purring along (including svr4 which now has rsync
>> re-enabled).
>
> dns-resolving in apache logs was switched off and redirected logs to
> separate disk ?

dns resolving has never been turned on, but Dave switched AccessLog to
point to /dev/null ...

----

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Fred Moyer"
Date:
>> Please check on what could be slamming the servers.   Thanks!
>
> Yup, I'm seeing that as well - judging by a quick ps, it *looks* like
> it's bittorrent that's killing it, along with a fair few hits on the ftp
> server. Unfortunately there's not much I can do as it's in a VM, and
> things like top don't work from there so I can't check properly.
>
> Going on IRC to chat about it I'm told you just went to sleep.... I'll
> do what I can, but I know nothing about BT :-(

For what it's worth (and I'm on the digest list so someone may have
already brought this up), bittorrent is fairly resource intensive and
perhaps it doesn't need to be run on this particular server.  I setup bt
seeds for all the torrents on a box I had last night with a 10 megabit
line, and I'll do the same with my other production box today.  As long as
there's at least one torrent seed going out there, I don't think the
webserver should be seeding torrents.

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Magnus Hagander"

> >> Please check on what could be slamming the servers.   Thanks!
> >
> > Yup, I'm seeing that as well - judging by a quick ps, it
> *looks* like
> > it's bittorrent that's killing it, along with a fair few
> hits on the
> > ftp server. Unfortunately there's not much I can do as it's
> in a VM,
> > and things like top don't work from there so I can't check properly.
> >
> > Going on IRC to chat about it I'm told you just went to
> sleep.... I'll
> > do what I can, but I know nothing about BT :-(
>
> For what it's worth (and I'm on the digest list so someone
> may have already brought this up), bittorrent is fairly
> resource intensive and perhaps it doesn't need to be run on
> this particular server.  I setup bt seeds for all the
> torrents on a box I had last night with a 10 megabit line,
> and I'll do the same with my other production box today.  As
> long as there's at least one torrent seed going out there, I
> don't think the webserver should be seeding torrents.

There have been several other machines seeding. Only the trackers are on
that box. I think. At least there were plenty of other seeders available
on different networks.

//Magnus

Date:

>>> Yup, I'm seeing that as well - judging by a quick ps, it
>> *looks* like
>>> it's bittorrent that's killing it, along with a fair few
>> hits on the
>>> ftp server. Unfortunately there's not much I can do as it's
>> in a VM,
>>> and things like top don't work from there so I can't check properly.
>>>
>>> Going on IRC to chat about it I'm told you just went to
>> sleep.... I'll
>>> do what I can, but I know nothing about BT :-(
>>
>> For what it's worth (and I'm on the digest list so someone
>> may have already brought this up), bittorrent is fairly
>> resource intensive and perhaps it doesn't need to be run on
>> this particular server.  I setup bt seeds for all the
>> torrents on a box I had last night with a 10 megabit line,
>> and I'll do the same with my other production box today.  As
>> long as there's at least one torrent seed going out there, I
>> don't think the webserver should be seeding torrents.
>
> There have been several other machines seeding. Only the trackers are on
> that box. I think. At least there were plenty of other seeders available
> on different networks.

As far as I know, this is the case ... I've been watching that server all
day, and all appears to be running smoothly ...

----

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

We do seem to have lots of very old versions in there as well though -
is there any need for that? I would think that 8.0, 7.4.6 and any other
popular downloads (psqlodbc, pgadmin etc) would have been enough?

Regards, Dave

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>As far as I know, this is the case ... I've been watching
>>that server all
>>day, and all appears to be running smoothly ...
>>

>We do seem to have lots of very old versions in there as well though -
>is there any need for that? I would think that 8.0, 7.4.6 and any other
>popular downloads (psqlodbc, pgadmin etc) would have been enough?

7.3.8 as well

SIncerely,

Joshua D. Drkae

Date:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> As far as I know, this is the case ... I've been watching that server all
>>> day, and all appears to be running smoothly ...
>>>

>> We do seem to have lots of very old versions in there as well though -
>> is there any need for that? I would think that 8.0, 7.4.6 and any other
>> popular downloads (psqlodbc, pgadmin etc) would have been enough?
>>
> 7.3.8 as well

Sorry, am confusd ... what are y'all looking at?  Oh hadn't noticed the
subdirectories before ... I know several ppl still stuck in 7.3 land, and
with stuff like Slony requiring a source download, having it there, I
would think, shouldn't be a problem ...

----

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

Hmm, looking more closely, it seems there's only a few things that could
probably go - 7.2.x, CVSUP and NT_Support_Files for example.

However, how much load does this take (I got varying reports from none
to loads on IRC)? Perhaps we should scrounge another server and offload
all the bt stuff?

Regards, Dave

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Fred Moyer"

You are probably running a tracker, I haven't run one but I do know about
the seeding resource usage.  Seeders use one bittorrent process per seed,
and those are the machines where bt puts load on.

I think we should bt every single release and list it on that bt page..
It's easier to maintain, and the seeders can start torrent seeds according
to their resources.

Re: Site way slow, please check

From
"Dave Page"

Actually, Magnus had a great idea yesterday - he proprosed that the FTP
browser (www.postgresql.org/ftp/) should have a [BitTorrent] link on
each file, allowing the same user interface to be used. Of course, that
means publishing every file in ftp, rather than fewer, but if that can
be done automatically, and on a dedicated server it might work well.

Regards, Dave.