Need to know final URLs for press kits

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Web folks,

I've gotten some oblique answers on this and feel that I'm still not
completely clear.

When the press kits are ready in the various languages, what will the URL be?
For, for example, French?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Need to know final URLs for press kits

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Josh, what are the pages involved? IIRC it is presskit80.html and
> release80.html? (foundry seems down otherwise i would look it up)

Just presskit80.html.

> I guess we have two directions we could go; put the files into a
> subdirectory for each language under the files section, like we do with
> the FAQ's, so the urls would look like:
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/press/en/presskit80.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/press/fr/presskit80.html
> etc...

This works for me, fine.

> I think the alternative is to try to put them all somewhere under
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/ and then try to do some content
> renegotiation for just those particular pages:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/presskit80
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/release80
> and then it would just magically figure out what language the user
> needed and/or have links for "this page available in" message at the
> bottom.

That's not going to work since we don't have full sites for any of these
languages.   Also, we need to embed explicit links in e-mail.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Need to know final URLs for press kits

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 01:17, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Web folks,
>
> I've gotten some oblique answers on this and feel that I'm still not
> completely clear.
>
> When the press kits are ready in the various languages, what will the URL be?
> For, for example, French?

Josh, what are the pages involved? IIRC it is presskit80.html and
release80.html? (foundry seems down otherwise i would look it up)

I guess we have two directions we could go; put the files into a
subdirectory for each language under the files section, like we do with
the FAQ's, so the urls would look like:
http://www.postgresql.org/files/press/en/presskit80.html
http://www.postgresql.org/files/press/fr/presskit80.html
etc...

I think the alternative is to try to put them all somewhere under
http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/ and then try to do some content
renegotiation for just those particular pages:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/presskit80
http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/release80
and then it would just magically figure out what language the user
needed and/or have links for "this page available in" message at the
bottom.

I'll admit the second seems a little magical to me as to if we can
really do it that way, perhaps Alexey can speak to this (or shoot it
down). Also if you (Josh) have a preference on which way it is done
don't be shy.

Robert Treat

Re: Need to know final URLs for press kits

From
Josh Berkus
People:

> I guess we have two directions we could go; put the files into a
> subdirectory for each language under the files section, like we do with
> the FAQ's, so the urls would look like:
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/press/en/presskit80.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/press/fr/presskit80.html
> etc...

Can I assume the silence on this means that everyone agrees with Robert, and
we'll use the above URLs?

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Need to know final URLs for press kits

From
"Dave Page"

Sorry - been catching up after the holidays.

Umm, no - shouldn't they go under template/XX/press so we end up with
/press/presskit80.html.XX etc?

Regards, Dave