Counting clicks, Download page?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Is there any way we can log the number of times people request an FTP mirror
from the download mirrors page?    While it wouldn't be an accurate count of
downloads, it would give us better numbers than we have now.

Thoughts?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Maybe a good way is to create a simple perl script that counts out of
some standard logfile formats and provides the numbers in a file that
would be accessable but hidden in the ftp file structure... maybe .stats
or something... then we could easily make a ftp script to retrive the
information for a stats page.  If we agree that it's something that
we'll ask/require our mirrors to use on a crontab, I'll be happy to code
something that works against proftp and apache, with abstraction for the
regex to split out the data.

Gavin

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Is there any way we can log the number of times people request an FTP mirror
>from the download mirrors page?    While it wouldn't be an accurate count of
>downloads, it would give us better numbers than we have now.
>
>Thoughts?

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gavin,

> If we agree that it's something that
> we'll ask/require our mirrors to use on a crontab,

We can ask, but only a few will cooperate.  Our biggest mirrors are university
sites who won't run anything -- at least, that's what I've been told.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
we could do something similar to what justin had done with techdocs, and
'wrapper' the redirect to the ftp site in a php/perl script that logs the
click thru to the mirror ... same could be done with the www mirrors also
... the 'link' would just have to point back to scripts.postgresql.org ...

----

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Is there any way we can log the number of times people request an FTP mirror
>from the download mirrors page?    While it wouldn't be an accurate count of
>downloads, it would give us better numbers than we have now.

Why don't we do it the way PHP does it. They have a link goes to
itself with some get parameters and then referrs to the real download site.
This would allow us to easily keep track of the specific clicks.

>Thoughts?

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Nope, not as it stands. Virtually everything is static HTML now for speed and mirror-ability. If you want to log ftp
mirrorselections, then it'll need to go back to being a php script on one server, giving us a single point of failure
onperhaps the second most important part of the site (next to the front page).

/D

> we'll ask/require our mirrors to use on a crontab,

> We can ask, but only a few will cooperate.  Our biggest mirrors are university
> sites who won't run anything -- at least, that's what I've been told.

Yes, thats what I've found in the past. Only the smaller mirrors will help out - mainly because they're run by fans of
theproject. The bigger ones mirror tens or even hundreds of sites, and simply don't start mucking about with stats for
us.

Regards, Dave

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi,

Dave Page wrote:
> Nope, not as it stands. Virtually everything is static HTML now for speed and mirror-ability. If you want to log ftp
mirrorselections, then it'll need to go back to being a php script on one server, giving us a single point of failure
onperhaps the second most important part of the site (next to the front page).

In fact the mirror selection page now *should* be a dynamic page on one
server only (and that's the main reason I am so concerned about that
server's performance). In any other case you'll *not* be able to use
ip2country.

But current implementation of mirror selection will not give any useful
stats: it will only show how many people went to an FTP mirror, not
whether they actually downloaded something.

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
It could be done without touching pages, just configure mod_rewrite
properly. I think it's not difficult for mirrors add several lines
to httpd.conf

     Oleg
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> Nope, not as it stands. Virtually everything is static HTML now for speed and mirror-ability. If you want to log ftp
mirrorselections, then it'll need to go back to being a php script on one server, giving us a single point of failure
onperhaps the second most important part of the site (next to the front page).

> /D

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Date:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> Nope, not as it stands. Virtually everything is static HTML now for
> speed and mirror-ability. If you want to log ftp mirror selections, then
> it'll need to go back to being a php script on one server, giving us a
> single point of failure on perhaps the second most important part of the
> site (next to the front page).

I thought that all mirrors had a requirement to have php enabled?  could
we do an email->database gateway, where the mirror would email in stats
that a script on the server side could then parse and dump into the
database?

the other option would be a php script that checked if
scripts.postgresql.org was reachable, and if so, did a GET request to do
the dump before redirecting to the mirror itself ... assuming a fairly
short timeout on the check ...

----

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Alexey,

> But current implementation of mirror selection will not give any useful
> stats: it will only show how many people went to an FTP mirror, not
> whether they actually downloaded something.

Yeah, but that's more information than we have now.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From
"Dave Page"

Don't worry about that - it's in hand.

>  In any other case
> you'll *not* be able to use ip2country.

As I vaguely seem to recall stating at the time it was implemented. It's
only a minor convenience thing (seeing as most ppl know their own
country), and puts both load on the server, and creates a single point
of failure.

> But current implementation of mirror selection will not give
> any useful
> stats: it will only show how many people went to an FTP
> mirror, not whether they actually downloaded something.

Agreed.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From