Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Josh,

Add www.microsoft.com to the list of variable ones :-)

I originally designed the current fixed-width site, which at the time various people liked, however, the one complaint
thatI think many of us kept hearing was that it should be variable width so ppl could utilise their screen real estate
ifthey wished. Originally, Robert worked on just that update to the current site iirc.

Personnally, I don't care which way it goes, but based on feedback I've heard over the last couple of years, stretchy
isdefinately preferred by others.

/D

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-www-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Josh Berkus
Sent: Sat 11/20/2004 8:16 PM
To: pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Subject: [pgsql-www] "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

Robert, Dave:

Hey, I wanted to settle -- or at least discuss -- the "stretchy" issue on
website designs.    Aside from Omar's design, I think this is a useful issue
to settle for a draft website spec, and *having* browsed the archives, I
don't feel that it was ever discussed fully.  Tom, Robert and Dave have
expressed that they *like* variable-width in the past, but I cannot find any
discussion on the WWW list that lays out why we would, as a group, find it
important to choose variable over fixed width.

So, some comparisons:
If you look at corporate websites, they tend to go for fixed-width:
www.ibm.com
www.hp.com
www.redhat.com
www.ca.com
www.sun.com
http://www.novell.com/linux/suse/index.html
www.vmware.com
www.apple.com
www.harpercollins.com
... in fact, I've been trying this morning to find a large tech software or
hardware manufacturer web site that uses variable-width, and cannot.

The sites that go for variable width seem to be:
(a) News sites
www.the451.com
www.slashdot.org
www.theregister.co.uk
... but not, interestingly, www.cnn.com
(b) Open Source projects/companies
www.mozilla.org
www.mysql.com
http://www.jboss.org/products/index
www.kde.org
www.debian.org

... actually, it's interesting how the web world is split; the big proprietary
software/hardware companies seem to almost universally opt for fixed-width,
and those centered around OSS projects are pretty much universally
variable-width.    Partly the OSS projects are explainable because many (if
not most) of them use community website packages which tend to be universally
variable-width.

What this means, I don't know.   Thoughts?

What it seems to show me is that either format strategy is "valid" and
"contemporary" and that our decision should be based on practical and
aesthetic concerns, and not on what's "too 90's".

So, do people have reasons why one is better than the other?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> Add www.microsoft.com to the list of variable ones :-)

'k, you do realize that mentioning microsoft *really* doesn't work in
"variable-widths" favor, eh? :)

----

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Hi Josh,
>>
>> Add www.microsoft.com to the list of variable ones :-)
>

> 'k, you do realize that mentioning microsoft *really* doesn't work in
> "variable-widths" favor, eh? :)

Although I appreciate the humor, Microsoft is actually a good example.
Yes they are considered by
many as "the Enemy". However they are widely respected even amongst
people who hate them as marketing genuises.
A website although primarily a tool, it is primarily a marketing tool.

Something to think about :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Actually, looking at the Microsoft website Dave pointed to, it looks
fixed-width to me ... and left justified instead of centered ... I wish
doing a 'view source' was a bit easier to read, but from the way their
javascript is defined at the top, it looks to be fixed to 855?

<script type="text/javascript">
   var isW;isW=(document&&document.body.clientWidth&&document.body.clientWidth>=895&&document.getElementById);
</script>

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Josh,
>>>
>>> Add www.microsoft.com to the list of variable ones :-)
>>

>> 'k, you do realize that mentioning microsoft *really* doesn't work in
>> "variable-widths" favor, eh? :)
>
> Although I appreciate the humor, Microsoft is actually a good example. Yes
> they are considered by
> many as "the Enemy". However they are widely respected even amongst people
> who hate them as marketing genuises.
> A website although primarily a tool, it is primarily a marketing tool.
>
> Something to think about :)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> ----
>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>

> --
> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

----

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Note that if you go to a sub page, their "center content" appear to be
fixed-width, while their top/bottom banner appears to be variable-width
... *really* looks odd ...

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Actually, looking at the Microsoft website Dave pointed to, it looks
> fixed-width to me ... and left justified instead of centered ... I
> wish doing a 'view source' was a bit easier to read, but from the way
> their javascript is defined at the top, it looks to be fixed to 855?

Yes it is a fixed width site. I was just making comment to your
Microsoft comment :).
Also I prefer fixed width sites. A fixed width site is much easier to
maintain, sets
specific guidelines for you content presentation and makes you actually
think about
how you are going to layout the site.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> <DEFANGED_script type="text/javascript">
>   var
> isW;isW=(document&&document.body.clientWidth&&document.body.clientWidth>=895&&document.getElementById);
>
> </script>
>

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> 'k, you do realize that mentioning microsoft *really* doesn't work
>>> in "variable-widths" favor, eh? :)
>>

>> Although I appreciate the humor, Microsoft is actually a good
>> example. Yes they are considered by
>> many as "the Enemy". However they are widely respected even amongst
>> people who hate them as marketing genuises.
>> A website although primarily a tool, it is primarily a marketing tool.
>>
>> Something to think about :)
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

>>> ----
>>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
>>> (http://www.hub.org)
>>> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
>>> 7615664
>>>
>>> ---------------------------(end of
>>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>

>> --
>> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
>> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
>> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
>> PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> Actually, looking at the Microsoft website Dave pointed to, it looks
>> fixed-width to me ... and left justified instead of centered ... I wish
>> doing a 'view source' was a bit easier to read, but from the way their
>> javascript is defined at the top, it looks to be fixed to 855?
>

> Yes it is a fixed width site. I was just making comment to your Microsoft
> comment :).

Ya, it was your comment that prompted me to look at the site a bit closer
:)

----

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Dave Page"

Yeah, they seem have have changed it recently. Try the 'Windows Server
System' link, or http://msdn.microsoft.com to see examples of the older
style.

I agree with Joshua incidently (which is why I mentioned the site in the
first place). Many ppl hate Microsoft, but they are undeniably good at
user interface design.

/D

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
<snip>

 > A fixed width site is much easier to maintain

For something that's based on opinion, shouldn't we then start looking
at other qualities?

For example, the above comment by Joshua "A fixed width site is much
easier to maintain" seems to be accurate for one of the most important
points for the web team.

We don't have copious amounts of time to tweak stuff, so taking the
lower-maintenance approach would be a better idea wouldn't it?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

<snip>

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
Omar Kilani
Date:
Hi,

> Yes it is a fixed width site. I was just making comment to your
> Microsoft comment :). Also I prefer fixed width sites. A fixed width
> site is much easier to maintain, sets specific guidelines for you
> content presentation and makes you actually think about how you are
> going to layout the site.

Upon further consideration of the fixed width vs. "stretchy" issue, we
have decided that there is one part of the site that would benefit
greatly from a stretchy design, and that is documentation.

See the example we've created:

http://postgresql.tinysofa.com/files/docs.html

The reason that we believe that variable width is a better approach for
documentation in particular is that people have different viewing
preferences when referring to manuals or books online. The readability
of online docs is improved if it is possible for the user to resize the
text and the width of the browser window to accommodate their viewing
preferences. Some may want to use all of their real estate while reading
the docs, while others may only want to use 1/4 of their screen so that
they can refer to the docs whilst coding at the same time.

(Having said that, it's worth noting that while our example page has no
*minimum* width for text, it does have a sensible maximum (IE tweaks
pending) to stop it from scaling and becoming unreadable on huge screens.)

However, while there are compelling reasons for docs to be variable
width, we don't believe that people would be reading the rest of the
site in the same way. It is most likely that somebody visiting the
PostgreSQL website would be viewing it with their window maximized, and
it is unlikely that they would want to refer to content outside of docs
whilst performing another activity (as in the example above). Therefore,
it's unlikely that someone would want to view the site in a width
smaller than the minimum of 800.

We don't believe there is much of a case for allowing the site (apart
from docs) to expand beyond the fixed layout width of 800. As mentioned
by others on this list, variable width produces unpredictable results on
a carefully designed layout. We believe that being able to control the
layout from a design perspective, and the ability of the user to view
the site as the designer intended (the way the majority of users would
want to view it anyway) are good arguments for fixed width design and
why so many designers choose this option.

Omar and Emily

Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From
"Dave Page"

Add the following to fixed width:

- The most commonly complained-about feature of the current site.

/D