Re: [GENERAL] Reusable pl/pgsql samples ?

Date:
Wow, that is bad, and you are right.  The PL/PgSQL cookbook URL doesn't
work and I don't see it mentioned on techdocs anymore.  Does anyone know
what happened?

Armen Rizal wrote:
> The link is dead. I've googled the cookbook but can't find any trace of it.
> No luck. Thanks anyway.
>
> -armen

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I don't know what specifically happened, but I recall Robert having some
hosting issues and his site going down. I contacted him about moving the
site to techdocs or www but he said he was planning on doing a relaunch
of the site with some new features though he had some other projects he
had to finish up on. This was probably a year or more ago. I followed up
with him a couple of times and eventually either got no response or
bounced emails, so I removed the links from techdocs since they were
broken for so long. If anyone could deliver his code to me I would be
very happy to put it up somewhere in the postgresql web hierarchy, but I
don't know how to get a hold of him/it.

I've seen a couple rumblings from different people about creating a new
cookbook, I think the last time by Josh Berkus through the pgfoundry
system, but I don't think anything has ever materialized. Perhaps that's
something someone looking for a community project could do to help out?

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 05:36, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Wow, that is bad, and you are right.  The PL/PgSQL cookbook URL doesn't
> work and I don't see it mentioned on techdocs anymore.  Does anyone know
> what happened?

> Armen Rizal wrote:
> > The link is dead. I've googled the cookbook but can't find any trace of it.
> > No luck. Thanks anyway.
> >
> > -armen

Date:
OK, that helps.  I have a copy of the cookbook from perhaps 6 months ago
if someone wants it.

Robert Treat wrote:
> I don't know what specifically happened, but I recall Robert having some
> hosting issues and his site going down. I contacted him about moving the
> site to techdocs or www but he said he was planning on doing a relaunch
> of the site with some new features though he had some other projects he
> had to finish up on. This was probably a year or more ago. I followed up
> with him a couple of times and eventually either got no response or
> bounced emails, so I removed the links from techdocs since they were
> broken for so long. If anyone could deliver his code to me I would be
> very happy to put it up somewhere in the postgresql web hierarchy, but I
> don't know how to get a hold of him/it.
>
> I've seen a couple rumblings from different people about creating a new
> cookbook, I think the last time by Josh Berkus through the pgfoundry
> system, but I don't think anything has ever materialized. Perhaps that's
> something someone looking for a community project could do to help out?
>
> Robert Treat
>

> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 05:36, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Wow, that is bad, and you are right.  The PL/PgSQL cookbook URL doesn't
> > work and I don't see it mentioned on techdocs anymore.  Does anyone know
> > what happened?

> > Armen Rizal wrote:
> > > The link is dead. I've googled the cookbook but can't find any trace of it.
> > > No luck. Thanks anyway.
> > >
> > > -armen

Date:
Please send me a copy and I'll see what we need to do to put up live.

Robert Treat

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 10:11, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, that helps.  I have a copy of the cookbook from perhaps 6 months ago
> if someone wants it.

> Robert Treat wrote:
> > I don't know what specifically happened, but I recall Robert having some
> > hosting issues and his site going down. I contacted him about moving the
> > site to techdocs or www but he said he was planning on doing a relaunch
> > of the site with some new features though he had some other projects he
> > had to finish up on. This was probably a year or more ago. I followed up
> > with him a couple of times and eventually either got no response or
> > bounced emails, so I removed the links from techdocs since they were
> > broken for so long. If anyone could deliver his code to me I would be
> > very happy to put it up somewhere in the postgresql web hierarchy, but I
> > don't know how to get a hold of him/it.
> >
> > I've seen a couple rumblings from different people about creating a new
> > cookbook, I think the last time by Josh Berkus through the pgfoundry
> > system, but I don't think anything has ever materialized. Perhaps that's
> > something someone looking for a community project could do to help out?
> >
> > Robert Treat
> >
> > On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 05:36, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Wow, that is bad, and you are right.  The PL/PgSQL cookbook URL doesn't
> > > work and I don't see it mentioned on techdocs anymore.  Does anyone
> > > know what happened?

> > >----

Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Reusable pl/pgsql samples ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert, Bruce,

> I've seen a couple rumblings from different people about creating a new
> cookbook, I think the last time by Josh Berkus through the pgfoundry
> system, but I don't think anything has ever materialized. Perhaps that's
> something someone looking for a community project could do to help out?

This is in process.  It's called "Code Snippets" and it's a feature of GForge.

Unfortunately, as-is the Gforge feature is broken, so it's curently waiting on
me and David Fetter to write a patch.   Regrettably, we've both been a bit
backlogged, so if there *is* a PHP coder who is willing to work on it and has
enough free bandwitdh to learn Gforge, private e-mail me, thanks!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 14:00, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert, Bruce,
>
> > I've seen a couple rumblings from different people about creating a new
> > cookbook, I think the last time by Josh Berkus through the pgfoundry
> > system, but I don't think anything has ever materialized. Perhaps that's
> > something someone looking for a community project could do to help out?
>
> This is in process.  It's called "Code Snippets" and it's a feature of GForge.
>
> Unfortunately, as-is the Gforge feature is broken, so it's curently waiting on
> me and David Fetter to write a patch.   Regrettably, we've both been a bit
> backlogged, so if there *is* a PHP coder who is willing to work on it and has
> enough free bandwitdh to learn Gforge, private e-mail me, thanks!

Is "code snippits" the one true plan? Bruce believes he has the old
cookbook code and we've had someone ask about yet another alternative,
so I think it looks like we have alternative solutions available. I've
no problem sticking with your road map if you feel that's where we need
to go, but I've also no problem letting different people work
independently and going with whatever solution comes out first (sort of
ansari xprize style)

Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Reusable pl/pgsql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Is "code snippits" the one true plan?

No, it's just the closest one to being implemented, and integrates tightly
with a PostgreSQL site already up.  Why spend 100 hours coding something from
scratch when 4-5 hours of work on an existing app would make it happen?

> Bruce believes he has the old
> cookbook code

Which is not really useable.  Just ask Roberto.

> and we've had someone ask about yet another alternative,
> so I think it looks like we have alternative solutions available. I've
> no problem sticking with your road map if you feel that's where we need
> to go, but I've also no problem letting different people work
> independently and going with whatever solution comes out first (sort of
> ansari xprize style)

We're fond of doing that as a community.   Unfortunately, with each separate
developer working on each separate solution, often nothing gets finished.   I
personally don't see any value in fragmented efforts just so that people
don't have to work with anyone else's code.   We're an OSS project, we're
supposed to be about *pooling* talent/code.

If somebody presents something completed, then great!   I'd be thrilled.
Anything I don't have to do is a good thing.   But if somebody asks me "How
can we do this thing?"  I'm going to tell them "help fix Code Snippets".

Now, if someone has an objection to Code Snippets as a tool and knows of
something else we can get done faster/better, then please, let's hear it!
I'm not attached to it, I just see it as the easiest path.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On Wednesday 13 October 2004 16:08, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I've
> > no problem sticking with your road map if you feel that's where we need
> > to go, but I've also no problem letting different people work
> > independently and going with whatever solution comes out first (sort of
> > ansari xprize style)
>
> We're fond of doing that as a community.   Unfortunately, with each
> separate developer working on each separate solution, often nothing gets
> finished.   I personally don't see any value in fragmented efforts just so
> that people don't have to work with anyone else's code.   We're an OSS
> project, we're supposed to be about *pooling* talent/code.

Fair enough.  But I can bring up several cases where waiting to implement a
preferred solution meant nothing getting done at all.

Bruce has sent me the cookbook code, I plan to look at it and see how feasible
it is to get it up and running.  Also, I looked in the bug list for the
pgfoundry project and didn't see anything about the broken code snippits
problem, perhaps you can post a bug in there and shoot me a link?

--
Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Reusable pl/pgsql

From
Tom Copeland
Date:
On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 17:15, Robert Treat wrote:
> Bruce has sent me the cookbook code, I plan to look at it and see how feasible
> it is to get it up and running.  Also, I looked in the bug list for the
> pgfoundry project and didn't see anything about the broken code snippits
> problem, perhaps you can post a bug in there and shoot me a link?

Hi folks -

I went ahead and added an RFE for the code snippets rewrite here:

http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000124&group_id=1000013&atid=149

with an explanation of what I see are the tricky bits.
Corrections/comments are welcome...

Yours,

Tom
--