New News Entry

From
www@www.postgresql.com (World Wide Web Owner)
Date:
A new entry has been added to the news database.

Database Admin: http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?168

Submitted by: pgman@candle.pha.pa.us
Headline: Fujitsu Promoting PostgreSQL
Fujitsu has produced an enhanced version of PostgreSQL for its customers.

Story:

The world-wide corporation Fujitsu is now promoting PostgreSQL to its customers.  In cooperation with SRA/Japan,
Fujitsuhas developed a custom version of PostgreSQL which is a merger of the community PostgreSQL release and its
powerful,proprietary storage engine called Symfoware.  The resulting product, called Powergres Plus, is now being
marketedby Fujitsu:

    http://software.fujitsu.com/jp/powergresplus/

Translation via Excite Japan:

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoftware.fujitsu.com%2Fjp%2Fpowergresplus%2F&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Re: New News Entry

From
"Dave Page"
> A new entry has been added to the news database.
>
> Database Admin: http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?168
>
> Submitted by: pgman@candle.pha.pa.us
> Headline: Fujitsu Promoting PostgreSQL
> Fujitsu has produced an enhanced version of PostgreSQL for
> its customers.
>
> Story:
>
> The world-wide corporation Fujitsu is now promoting
> PostgreSQL to its customers.  In cooperation with SRA/Japan,
> Fujitsu has developed a custom version of PostgreSQL which is
> a merger of the community PostgreSQL release and its
> powerful, proprietary storage engine called Symfoware.  The
> resulting product, called Powergres Plus, is now being
> marketed by Fujitsu:
>
>     http://software.fujitsu.com/jp/powergresplus/
>
> Translation via Excite Japan:
>
> http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsof
tware.fujitsu.com%2Fjp%2Fpowergresplus%2F&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
hasn't this already been announced??  Search through google shows zdnet
posted it as news back in August ... are we no re-cycling news? *raised
eyebrow*

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Dave Page wrote:

> Thanks, approved.

----

Re: New News Entry

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> hasn't this already been announced??  Search through google shows zdnet
> posted it as news back in August ... are we no re-cycling news? *raised
> eyebrow*

I just found out it was public knowledge while I was in Japan, so if it
was known, it doesn't seem to be known by our community.

I just did a google search on "PostgreSQL Fujitsu" and then clicked on
the News link and nothing matched, and I don't see any news articles in
the first few Google pages.  What URL did you see?  I just searched
zdnet for those two works and came up with nothing.

Re: New News Entry

From
"Dave Page"

Not by us that I'm aware of. Seems like it's something we should give
space to though.

Regards, Dave.

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > hasn't this already been announced??  Search through google shows zdnet
> > posted it as news back in August ... are we no re-cycling news? *raised
> > eyebrow*
>
> I just found out it was public knowledge while I was in Japan, so if it
> was known, it doesn't seem to be known by our community.
>
> I just did a google search on "PostgreSQL Fujitsu" and then clicked on

try 'powergres', since that is the product?  'powergres zdnet' brings up
the zdnet.jp links ...

Re: New News Entry

From
"Dave Page"

I get only 1 hit for 'powergres zdnet' on Google, and that's a site with
links to ZDNet and SRA on the same page. I do have Google set to English
language pages only though.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the previous SRA Powergres release
notice?

Regards, Dave.

Re: New News Entry

> > try 'powergres', since that is the product?  'powergres
> > zdnet' brings up the zdnet.jp links ...
>
> I get only 1 hit for 'powergres zdnet' on Google, and that's a site with
> links to ZDNet and SRA on the same page. I do have Google set to English
> language pages only though.
>
> Are you sure you're not thinking of the previous SRA Powergres release
> notice?

I think so. I don't see any English references to this news.  The
important part for me isn't the product, but that a _very_ big company is
promoting PostgreSQL.

Re: New News Entry

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 13 December 2003 17:17, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> [...]

I agree, Fujitsu is a "name" company.  Having them behind postgresql is huge.

Robert Treat

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> > I think so. I don't see any English references to this news.  The
> > important part for me isn't the product, but that a _very_ big company is
> > promoting PostgreSQL.
>
> I agree, Fujitsu is a "name" company.  Having them behind postgresql is huge.

"behind" PostgreSQL is kinda weak ... to the best of my knowledge,
everything they are doing is totally proprietary, with nothing actually
contributed back to the community ... Bruce, has any of that changed since
we first heard about their plans?

----

Re: New News Entry

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > > I think so. I don't see any English references to this news.  The
> > > important part for me isn't the product, but that a _very_ big company is
> > > promoting PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I agree, Fujitsu is a "name" company.  Having them behind postgresql is huge.
>
> "behind" PostgreSQL is kinda weak ... to the best of my knowledge,
> everything they are doing is totally proprietary, with nothing actually
> contributed back to the community ... Bruce, has any of that changed since
> we first heard about their plans?

Yes, that was the "secret" time.  I believe they currently understand
the value of working with the community.

Re: New News Entry

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Yes, that was the "secret" time.  I believe they currently understand
> the value of working with the community.

Certainly they got some feedback.   They interviewed Elein & Me & somebody
else about marketing and community relations, etc.  I think they got the
message that proprietary won't necessarily sell better than OSS.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions