Re: [HACKERS] Release cycle length

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Neil Conway wrote:

> That said, I'm not really sure how we can make better use of the beta
> period. One obvious improvement would be making the beta announcements
> more visible: the obscurity of the beta process on www.postgresql.org
> for 7.4 was pretty ridiculous. Does anyone else have a suggestion on
> what we can do to produce a more reliable .0 release in less time?

Agreed ... here's a thought ...

take the download page and break it into two pages:

page 1: broken down into "dev" vs "stable" versions, including the date of
release ...

page 2: when you click on the version you want to download, it brings you
to a subpage that is what the main page currently is (with all the flags
and such) but instead of just sending ppl to the ftp site itself, actually
have the link go to the directory that contains that version on the mirror
site ...

that first page of the download could contain descriptoins of the variosu
releases, and state of releases?

Re: [HACKERS] Release cycle length

From
"Andreas Grabmüller"
> > That said, I'm not really sure how we can make better use of the beta
> > period. One obvious improvement would be making the beta announcements
> > more visible: the obscurity of the beta process on www.postgresql.org
> > for 7.4 was pretty ridiculous. Does anyone else have a suggestion on
> > what we can do to produce a more reliable .0 release in less time?
>
> Agreed ... here's a thought ...
>
> take the download page and break it into two pages:
>
> page 1: broken down into "dev" vs "stable" versions, including the date of
> release ...
>
> page 2: when you click on the version you want to download, it brings you
> to a subpage that is what the main page currently is (with all the flags
> and such) but instead of just sending ppl to the ftp site itself, actually
> have the link go to the directory that contains that version on the mirror
> site ...
>
> that first page of the download could contain descriptoins of the variosu
> releases, and state of releases?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

We could also use some download page similar to the one on httpd.apache.org - first you select a mirror (and one near
youhas been preselected) and under it you get a list of possible downloads... might be easier for the users than
browsingthrough FTP...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

--
LetzPlay.de
| Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
| Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren

Re: [HACKERS] Release cycle length

From
Michael Glaesemann
On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 05:13 PM, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:

> ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> Von: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>
> An: Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>
> CC: pgsql-www@postgresql.org, PostgreSQL Development
> <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
> Datum: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 05:06 AM
> Betreff: [pgsql-www] [HACKERS] Release cycle length
>
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Neil Conway wrote:
>>
>>> That said, I'm not really sure how we can make better use of the beta
>>> period. One obvious improvement would be making the beta
>>> announcements
>>> more visible: the obscurity of the beta process on www.postgresql.org
>>> for 7.4 was pretty ridiculous. Does anyone else have a suggestion on
>>> what we can do to produce a more reliable .0 release in less time?
>>
>> Agreed ... here's a thought ...
>>
>> take the download page and break it into two pages:
>>
>> page 1: broken down into "dev" vs "stable" versions, including the
>> date of
>> release ...
>>
>> page 2: when you click on the version you want to download, it brings
>> you
>> to a subpage that is what the main page currently is (with all the
>> flags
>> and such) but instead of just sending ppl to the ftp site itself,
>> actually
>> have the link go to the directory that contains that version on the
>> mirror
>> site ...
>>
>> that first page of the download could contain descriptoins of the
>> variosu
>> releases, and state of releases?
>>
>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>
> We could also use some download page similar to the one on
> httpd.apache.org - first you select a mirror (and one near you has
> been preselected) and under it you get a list of possible downloads...
> might be easier for the users than browsing through FTP...

 From a users' standpoint, do you think the users are looking for a
mirror or for software? Maybe put the download first, then a selection
of mirrors. I haven't done a lot of downloading, so my perspective
might be a little off. And advantage of the mirror > download order
would be if people are downloading more than one item at a time. Then
they wouldn't have to go back to choose another download. However, once
they choose the mirror (and commence the download) a page could come up
offering the option to download more from this mirror.

Just some thoughts.
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] Release cycle length

From
"Andreas Grabmüller"
> On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 05:13 PM, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
>
> > ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> > Von: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>
> > An: Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>
> > CC: pgsql-www@postgresql.org, PostgreSQL Development
> > <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
> > Datum: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 05:06 AM
> > Betreff: [pgsql-www] [HACKERS] Release cycle length

> >> Agreed ... here's a thought ...
> >>
> >> take the download page and break it into two pages:
> >>
> >> page 1: broken down into "dev" vs "stable" versions, including the
> >> date of
> >> release ...
> >>
> >> page 2: when you click on the version you want to download, it brings
> >> you
> >> to a subpage that is what the main page currently is (with all the
> >> flags
> >> and such) but instead of just sending ppl to the ftp site itself,
> >> actually
> >> have the link go to the directory that contains that version on the
> >> mirror
> >> site ...
> >>
> >> that first page of the download could contain descriptoins of the
> >> variosu
> >> releases, and state of releases?
> >>
> >> ---------------------------(end of
> >> broadcast)---------------------------
> >> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> >
> > We could also use some download page similar to the one on
> > httpd.apache.org - first you select a mirror (and one near you has
> > been preselected) and under it you get a list of possible downloads...
> > might be easier for the users than browsing through FTP...
>
>  From a users' standpoint, do you think the users are looking for a
> mirror or for software? Maybe put the download first, then a selection
> of mirrors. I haven't done a lot of downloading, so my perspective
> might be a little off. And advantage of the mirror > download order
> would be if people are downloading more than one item at a time. Then
> they wouldn't have to go back to choose another download. However, once
> they choose the mirror (and commence the download) a page could come up
> offering the option to download more from this mirror.
>
> Just some thoughts.
> Michael

Have you looked at the apache download site? I think it's goot (of course, we can put the mirror chooser under the
downloadlinks - it doesn't matter for the functionality as always a different (random?) server gets preselected
automatically...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

--

Date:
On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 10:32 PM, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
> Have you looked at the apache download site? I think it's goot (of
> course, we can put the mirror chooser under the download links - it
> doesn't matter for the functionality as always a different (random?)
> server gets preselected automatically...

Yes, I did. I thought it was pretty good. Nice and clean. And I like
how it chooses a server. I don't know how it selects. You could do it
by location (nearness to the client ip), server load (weight those with
lower server load). I'm sure there are other ways as well.

I have seen examples where you choose the download, then the server. I
wish I can think of one right now...

Michael

Re: [HACKERS] Release cycle length

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

I agree with Neil ... it's not the length of the development part of the
cycle, it's the length of the beta testing.

I do think an online bug tracker (bugzilla or whatever) would help.   I also
think that having a person in charge of "testing" would help as well ... no
biggie, just someone whose duty it is to e-mail people in the community and
ask about the results of testing, especially on the more obscure ports.  I
think a few e-mail reminders would do a *lot* to speed things up.  But I'm
not volunteering for this job; managing the release PR is "herding cats"
enough!

I also contributed to the delays on this release because it took longer than I
expected to get the "PR machinery" started.   We have a sort of system now,
though, and the next release should be easier.

HOWEVER, a release cycle of *less than 6 months* would kill the advocacy vols
if we wanted the same level of publicity.

I do support the idea of "dev" releases.   For example, if there was a "dev"
release of PG+ARC as soon as Jan is done with it, I have one client would
would be willing to test it against a simulated production load on pretty
heavy-duty hardware.

(Oddly enough, my problem in doing more testing myself is external to
PostgreSQL; most of our apps are PHP apps and you can't compile PHP against
two different versions of PostgreSQL on the same server.   Maybe with User
Mode Linux I'll be able to do more testing now.)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > HOWEVER, a release cycle of *less than 6 months* would kill the advocacy vols
> > if we wanted the same level of publicity.
> >
> > I do support the idea of "dev" releases.   For example, if there was a "dev"
> > release of PG+ARC as soon as Jan is done with it, I have one client would
> > would be willing to test it against a simulated production load on pretty
> > heavy-duty hardware.
>
> Can't we have nightly builds always available?  Why can't they just use
> the CVS version?

We do do nightly builds ... have for years now ...

----

Re: [HACKERS] Release cycle length

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> HOWEVER, a release cycle of *less than 6 months* would kill the advocacy vols
> if we wanted the same level of publicity.
>
> I do support the idea of "dev" releases.   For example, if there was a "dev"
> release of PG+ARC as soon as Jan is done with it, I have one client would
> would be willing to test it against a simulated production load on pretty
> heavy-duty hardware.

Can't we have nightly builds always available?  Why can't they just use
the CVS version?

> (Oddly enough, my problem in doing more testing myself is external to
> PostgreSQL; most of our apps are PHP apps and you can't compile PHP against
> two different versions of PostgreSQL on the same server.   Maybe with User
> Mode Linux I'll be able to do more testing now.)

I'd be willing to give testing coordination a go, not sure where I'd
begin though.

Chris

Date:
On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 10:47 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 10:32 PM, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
>> Have you looked at the apache download site? I think it's goot (of
>> course, we can put the mirror chooser under the download links - it
>> doesn't matter for the functionality as always a different (random?)
>> server gets preselected automatically...
>
> Yes, I did. I thought it was pretty good. Nice and clean. And I like
> how it chooses a server. I don't know how it selects. You could do it
> by location (nearness to the client ip), server load (weight those
> with lower server load). I'm sure there are other ways as well.
>
> I have seen examples where you choose the download, then the server. I
> wish I can think of one right now...

Sourceforge does it the download > server way. Check out
http://awstats.sourceforge.net/#DOWNLOAD

You might have to scroll down a bit. The # link didn't work for me.

Michael