Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?

From
Glen Barber
Date:
Hi,

First off, thank you for bringing this into contrib.

I built beta2 this morning to give pg_upgrade a test run, and everything
worked out great.  The only thing I am not sure of is the expected
location of pg_upgrade_support.so.  It is a default build with the
exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.

Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:

%pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
  -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
  -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
  -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data)            ok
Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2)           ok

pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
/usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so

Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

Thanks and regards,

--
Glen Barber

Re: Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

Added to Open Items page for 9.0.  Bruce says he should get to checking
it sometime tonight or tommorrow.  Thanks for bug report.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
On 6/7/10 2:43 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
>> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?
>
> Added to Open Items page for 9.0.  Bruce says he should get to checking
> it sometime tonight or tommorrow.  Thanks for bug report.

Excellent, thanks!

--

Date:
On 6/7/10 2:48 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
> On 6/7/10 2:43 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
>>> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?
>>
>> Added to Open Items page for 9.0. Bruce says he should get to checking
>> it sometime tonight or tommorrow. Thanks for bug report.
>>

> Excellent, thanks!

Just to follow up, Bruce did take a look at this on -general.  In short,
it turns out to be operator error - I never cleaned the source
directories, which caused the extra '/postgresql/' directory in the
hierarchy.

The relevant thread is here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-06/msg00321.php

Thanks to Bruce and Takahiro Itagaki for taking a look.

Glen Barber