PostgreSQL: Autocommit through windows odbc driver doesnt work!!!

From
"Venkatesan, Sekhar"
Date:
certifyour product with PostgreSQL database and facing an issue with windows odbc driver and need your help to identify
theproblem.<p class="MsoNormal">Our application uses SQLDriverConnect to connect to PostgreSQL server. I am using
PostgreSQLodbc driver version 9.4<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:13.5pt;font-family:"Times New
Roman","serif";color:black">SQLSetConnectAttrto enable autocommit as below:</span><p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:13.5pt;font-family:"TimesNew Roman","serif";color:black">Eg: SQLSetConnectAttr(SQL_ATTR_AUTOCOMMIT,
SQL_AUTOCOMMIT_ON,0)</span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:13.5pt;font-family:"Times New
Roman","serif";color:black"> </span><pclass="MsoNormal">But it seems autocommit is not set and hence any queries
executedfrom other session never gets updated data in other session since autocommit of insert statements never
happens.<pclass="MsoNormal">Only workaround I am seeing is to explicitly issue “commit” to save the updates in the
database.<pclass="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">Has anyone seen this issue earlier? I see a relevant issue in
psqlODBC09.05.0100 Release something like below:<p class="MsoNormal"><a
href="https://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/release.html">https://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/release.html</a><p
class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0level1
lfo1"><spanstyle="font-size:13.5pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";color:black"><span
style="font-size:13.5pt;font-family:"TimesNew Roman","serif";color:black">Don't reset autocommit when a connection is
established</span></b><spanstyle="font-size:13.5pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";color:black"></span><p
class="MsoNormal"style="margin-left:.5in"><span style="font-size:13.5pt;font-family:"Times New
Roman","serif";color:black">Ifautocommit is disabled on a connection, by calling SQLSetConnectAttr(SQL_ATTR_AUTOCOMMIT,
SQL_AUTOCOMMIT_OFF,0), before connecting with SQLDriverConnect(), autocommit was incorrectly reset back to on when the
use-case,I want to enable autocommit at odbc driver level but even that doesn’t work.<p class="MsoNormal">The same
applicationworks in Linux OS when unix odbc driver is used. This seems to be specific to windows driver.<p
class="MsoNormal"> <pclass="MsoNormal">Please shed some light on this. Do ask me further question if you have any.<p
class="MsoNormal"> <pclass="MsoNormal">Thanks,<p class="MsoNormal">Sekhar</div>

Re: PostgreSQL: Autocommit through windows odbc driver doesnt work!!!

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 01/27/2016 10:31 PM, Venkatesan, Sekhar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying  to certify our product with PostgreSQL database and facing
> an issue with windows odbc driver and need your help to identify the
> problem.
>
> Our application uses SQLDriverConnect to connect to PostgreSQL server. I
> am using PostgreSQL odbc driver version 9.4
>
> SQLSetConnectAttr to enable autocommit as below:
>
> Eg: SQLSetConnectAttr(SQL_ATTR_AUTOCOMMIT, SQL_AUTOCOMMIT_ON, 0)
>
> But it seems autocommit is not set and hence any queries executed from
> other session never gets updated data in other session since autocommit
> of insert statements never happens.
>
> Only workaround I am seeing is to explicitly issue “commit” to save the
> updates in the database.
>
> Has anyone seen this issue earlier? I see a relevant issue in psqlODBC
> 09.05.0100 Release something like below:
>
> https://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/release.html
>
> 1.*Don't reset autocommit when a connection is established*
>
> If autocommit is disabled on a connection, by calling
> SQLSetConnectAttr(SQL_ATTR_AUTOCOMMIT, SQL_AUTOCOMMIT_OFF, 0), before
> connecting with SQLDriverConnect(), autocommit was incorrectly reset
> back to on when the connection was established.
>
> Is the above issue fixed? Also in my use-case, I want to enable
> autocommit at odbc driver level but even that doesn’t work.
>
> The same application works in Linux OS when unix odbc driver is used.
> This seems to be specific to windows driver.
>
> Please shed some light on this. Do ask me further question if you have any.

The only answer I have is that you might get an answer sooner if you
post this to the -odbc list:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-odbc/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PostgreSQL: Autocommit through windows odbc driver doesnt work!!!

From
"Venkatesan, Sekhar"
Date:
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for getting back to me.
I am new to this forum. Can you please explain how to post my message in odbc list?
How to contact this list there? Is there any email ID alias?
Please help.

Thanks,
Sekhar

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 01/28/2016 08:33 AM, Venkatesan, Sekhar wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
> I am new to this forum. Can you please explain how to post my message in odbc list?
> How to contact this list there? Is there any email ID alias?

You will need to be subscribed to the list to post to it, so go to the
link I sent below and on left side there is a link under Mailing Lists
that says Subscribe. Click on that and it will take you to a form that
allows you to subscribe to a list. Just select pgsql-odbc in the
Mailinglist dropdown. You will get a confirmation email that you will
need to reply to, then you can post to that list. If it where me I would
just cut and paste your original post into a new message to -odbc.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PostgreSQL: Autocommit through windows odbc driver doesnt work!!!

From
"Venkatesan, Sekhar"
Thanks a ton Adrian. Appreciate your help!

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com