fsync debug messages in pgsql logs

From
Wayne Cuddy
Date:
I'm seeing this in my PGSQL logs, is this something to be concerned
about? I know the file system it sits on is reliable and the DB appears
to run with fine, additionally the log indicates it's a debug message. I
did some google searches and didn't find much.

When I examine the file system file by these names to not exist.

Thanks,
Wayne

2012-07-19 21:05:42.840 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/45365979_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-20 06:25:43.899 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/45413298_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-20 11:20:44.755 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/45438221_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-20 15:40:45.974 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/45460199_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-22 12:35:43.882 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/45687933_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-25 03:35:42.933 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/46007387_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-25 06:30:45.354 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/46022167_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-26 06:48:13.595 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/46145719_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-07-28 17:58:40.774 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/46445945_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-08-01 09:38:42.234 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/46890581_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-08-05 01:07:43.659 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/47334522_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory
2012-08-07 01:27:43.605 GMT  8966 4fd07ba5.2306 @: DEBUG:  could not
fsync
file "base/16711/47579627_fsm" but retrying: No such file or directory

Re: fsync debug messages in pgsql logs

Date:
Wayne Cuddy <lists-pgsql@useunix.net> writes:
> I'm seeing this in my PGSQL logs, is this something to be concerned
> about? I know the file system it sits on is reliable and the DB appears
> to run with fine, additionally the log indicates it's a debug message. I
> did some google searches and didn't find much.
> When I examine the file system file by these names to not exist.

If it only complains once per file name, this is expected behavior when
somebody drops a table just before the checkpoint mechanism tries to
fsync it.  (If the failure were to repeat, then it might be something
more interesting.)  It does seem a bit odd that only fsm files are being
complained of, though.

What PG version is that exactly?
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 12:23:22PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Wayne Cuddy <lists-pgsql@useunix.net> writes:
> > I'm seeing this in my PGSQL logs, is this something to be concerned
> > about? I know the file system it sits on is reliable and the DB appears
> > to run with fine, additionally the log indicates it's a debug message. I
> > did some google searches and didn't find much.
> > When I examine the file system file by these names to not exist.
>
> If it only complains once per file name, this is expected behavior when
> somebody drops a table just before the checkpoint mechanism tries to
> fsync it.  (If the failure were to repeat, then it might be something
> more interesting.)  It does seem a bit odd that only fsm files are being
> complained of, though.
>
> What PG version is that exactly?
>
>             regards, tom lane

It's 9.0.4. I'm frequently truncating tables but not dropping them.

Re: fsync debug messages in pgsql logs

Date:
Wayne Cuddy <lists-pgsql@useunix.net> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 12:23:22PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If it only complains once per file name, this is expected behavior when
>> somebody drops a table just before the checkpoint mechanism tries to
>> fsync it.  (If the failure were to repeat, then it might be something
>> more interesting.)  It does seem a bit odd that only fsm files are being
>> complained of, though.
>>
>> What PG version is that exactly?

> It's 9.0.4. I'm frequently truncating tables but not dropping them.

Under the hood, TRUNCATE creates a new empty table and then drops the
old one after commit.  So that sounds consistent.  It's still a bit odd
that all the messages are about FSM files, but maybe that has something
to do with sequence-of-operations in the DROP.  Anyway, nothing to see
here AFAICT.
        regards, tom lane

Re: fsync debug messages in pgsql logs

From
Wayne Cuddy
Date:
Ok, I'll keep an eye on it but I'm not so worried now.

Thanks Tom.