Re: fsync debug messages in pgsql logs - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fsync debug messages in pgsql logs
Date
List pgsql-sql
Wayne Cuddy <lists-pgsql@useunix.net> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 12:23:22PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If it only complains once per file name, this is expected behavior when
>> somebody drops a table just before the checkpoint mechanism tries to
>> fsync it.  (If the failure were to repeat, then it might be something
>> more interesting.)  It does seem a bit odd that only fsm files are being
>> complained of, though.
>>
>> What PG version is that exactly?

> It's 9.0.4. I'm frequently truncating tables but not dropping them.

Under the hood, TRUNCATE creates a new empty table and then drops the
old one after commit.  So that sounds consistent.  It's still a bit odd
that all the messages are about FSM files, but maybe that has something
to do with sequence-of-operations in the DROP.  Anyway, nothing to see
here AFAICT.
        regards, tom lane