how to construct sql

From
Wes James
Date:
I am grabbing a printer total and putting it in a table.  The
page_count is continuously increasing:

page_count_count        page_count_pdate
10                               2010-05-10
20                               2010-05-10
40                               2010-05-11
60                               2010-05-11
80                               2010-05-11
100                               2010-05-12
120                               2010-05-12

and so on.

I can do:

select sum(page_count_count) from page_count group by page_count_pdate.

and get a total for a day.  But this is not the total I want.  I want
the total page count for the day.  This would mean getting the first
page count of the day and then subtracting that from last page_count
for the day.  For 2010-05-11 above it would be

80 - 40 = 40 total for the day.  Is there a way to do this with sql?

thx,

-wes

Re: how to construct sql

From
"Oliveiros"
Date:
Hi,
Have you already tried this out?

select MAX(page_count_count) - MIN(page_count_count)
from page_count
group by page_count_pdate.

Best,
Oliveiros

>I am grabbing a printer total and putting it in a table.  The
> page_count is continuously increasing:
>
> page_count_count        page_count_pdate
> 10                               2010-05-10
> 20                               2010-05-10
> 40                               2010-05-11
> 60                               2010-05-11
> 80                               2010-05-11
> 100                               2010-05-12
> 120                               2010-05-12
>
> and so on.
>
> I can do:
>
> select sum(page_count_count) from page_count group by page_count_pdate.
>
> and get a total for a day.  But this is not the total I want.  I want
> the total page count for the day.  This would mean getting the first
> page count of the day and then subtracting that from last page_count
> for the day.  For 2010-05-11 above it would be
>
> 80 - 40 = 40 total for the day.  Is there a way to do this with sql?
>
> thx,
>
> -wes

Re: how to construct sql

From
Wes James
Date:
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Oliveiros
<oliveiros.cristina@marktest.pt> wrote:
> Hi,
> Have you already tried this out?
>
> select MAX(page_count_count) - MIN(page_count_count)  from page_count group
> by page_count_pdate.
>

> Best,
> Oliveiros

Oliveiros,

Thx that mostly works.  I just tried it and on the days there is only
1 entry it is 0 since max is the same as min so max - min is 0.  Is
there a way to take in to account the 1 entry days?

Again thx - I appreciate your help :)

-wes

Re: how to construct sql

From
Justin Graf
Date:
On 6/2/2010 12:31 PM, Wes James wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Oliveiros
> <oliveiros.cristina@marktest.pt>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Have you already tried this out?
>>
>> select MAX(page_count_count) - MIN(page_count_count)  from page_count group
>> by page_count_pdate.
>>

>> Best,
>> Oliveiros
>>
> Oliveiros,
>
> Thx that mostly works.  I just tried it and on the days there is only
> 1 entry it is 0 since max is the same as min so max - min is 0.  Is
> there a way to take in to account the 1 entry days?
>
> Again thx - I appreciate your help :)
>
> -wes

Put in a case

select
case when MAX(page_count_count) - MIN(page_count_count)>  0 then
    MAX(page_count_count) - MIN(page_count_count)
else
    MAX(page_count_count)
from page_count
group by page_count_pdate.

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by
ourproprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other
informationproprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
addresses.If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
thatany unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
receivedthis e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this
e-mailimmediately.
Thank you.

Attachment

Re: how to construct sql

From
"Hiltibidal, Rob"
db2 has a group by rollup function.. does this exist in postgres?