connections between servers

From
"Marcin Krawczyk"
Date:
Hi all. I was wondering if it's possible for a trigger to perform operations on a database on different server? I saw
somewherethat there's a piece of software that allows conneciotns between different databases, but what about different
servers?I also thought about using perl, would it be possible to connect to different server from within perl

Re: connections between servers

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Marcin Krawczyk wrote:
> Hi all. I was wondering if it's possible for a trigger to perform operations
> on a database on different server? I saw somewhere that there's a piece of
> software that allows conneciotns between different databases, but what about
> different servers? I also thought about using perl, would it be possible to
> connect to different server from within perl trigger?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> regards
> mk

Yes it is possible. A PL/Perl trigger is one option you have.

dblink (in contrib) and dbi-link, dblink-tds, oralink and odbclink are
other options at pgfoundry.org depending on your needs.

There was a recent discussion in the general mailing list about this.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-03/msg01343.php

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz