PostgesSQL equivalent of the Oracle 'contains' operator

From
"Wm.A.Stafford"
Date:
I'm beginning  a port of an Oracle  application to PostgrSQL.  One
immediate issue is the use of the  Oracle 'contains' operator to do
whole word searches on table rows that contain blank separated lists of
names.  I  was told that the original application was written using the
'like' operator but the contains operator was found to be much faster.

Is there a PostgreSQL equivalent for this type of use of the Oracle
contains?

Thanks,
-=bill  stafford

Re: PostgesSQL equivalent of the Oracle 'contains' operator

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
> I'm beginning  a port of an Oracle  application to PostgrSQL.  One
> immediate issue is the use of the  Oracle 'contains' operator to do
> whole word searches on table rows that contain blank separated lists of
> names.  I  was told that the original application was written using the
> 'like' operator but the contains operator was found to be much faster.
>
> Is there a PostgreSQL equivalent for this type of use of the Oracle
> contains?

The other methods are to use regular expressions, but I do not expect them to be any faster than a
like.  Have you looked at the contrib module tsearch2?
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/
Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.