Re: PostgesSQL equivalent of the Oracle 'contains' operator - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: PostgesSQL equivalent of the Oracle 'contains' operator
Date
List pgsql-sql
> I'm beginning  a port of an Oracle  application to PostgrSQL.  One
> immediate issue is the use of the  Oracle 'contains' operator to do
> whole word searches on table rows that contain blank separated lists of
> names.  I  was told that the original application was written using the
> 'like' operator but the contains operator was found to be much faster.
>
> Is there a PostgreSQL equivalent for this type of use of the Oracle
> contains?

The other methods are to use regular expressions, but I do not expect them to be any faster than a
like.  Have you looked at the contrib module tsearch2?
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/
Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.