Is it This Join Condition Do-Able?

From
"Lane Van Ingen"
Date:
Given three tables: a, b, c ; each consist of a 'keyfld' and a field called
'foo':    tbl a       tbl b         tbl c  ---------   ---------     ---------  a.keyfld    b.keyfld       c.keyfld
a.foo1     b.foo2         c.foo3

I want to always return all of tbl a; and I want to return b.foo2 and c.foo3
if
they can be joined to based on keyfld.a; I know that it will involve a LEFT
OUTER
JOIN on table a, but have not seen any examples of joins like this on 3 or
more
tables.

select a.keyfld, a.foo1, b.foo2, c.foo3
from a, b, c
where a.keyfld = <some value>
and   a.keyfld = b.keyfld
and   a.keyfld = c.keyfld;

Results could look like this: a.keyfld  a.foo1   b.foo2  c.foo3   xxxx     xxxx     xxxx    (null)   xxxx     xxxx
(null)   xxxx   xxxx     xxxx    (null)   (null)   xxxx     xxxx     xxxx     xxxx

Re: Is it This Join Condition Do-Able?

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:54:50PM -0400, Lane Van Ingen wrote:
> Given three tables: a, b, c ; each consist of a 'keyfld' and a field called
> 'foo':
>      tbl a       tbl b         tbl c
>    ---------   ---------     ---------
>    a.keyfld    b.keyfld       c.keyfld
>    a.foo1      b.foo2         c.foo3
>
> I want to always return all of tbl a; and I want to return b.foo2 and c.foo3 if
> they can be joined to based on keyfld.a; I know that it will involve a LEFT OUTER
> JOIN on table a, but have not seen any examples of joins like this on 3 or more
> tables.

Does this example do what you want?

CREATE TABLE a (keyfld integer, foo1 text);
CREATE TABLE b (keyfld integer, foo2 text);
CREATE TABLE c (keyfld integer, foo3 text);

INSERT INTO a VALUES (1, 'a1');
INSERT INTO a VALUES (2, 'a2');
INSERT INTO a VALUES (3, 'a3');
INSERT INTO a VALUES (4, 'a4');

INSERT INTO b VALUES (1, 'b1');
INSERT INTO b VALUES (4, 'b4');

INSERT INTO c VALUES (2, 'c2');
INSERT INTO c VALUES (4, 'c4');

SELECT a.keyfld, a.foo1, b.foo2, c.foo3
FROM a
LEFT OUTER JOIN b USING (keyfld)
LEFT OUTER JOIN c USING (keyfld);keyfld | foo1 | foo2 | foo3
--------+------+------+------     1 | a1   | b1   |      2 | a2   |      | c2     3 | a3   |      |      4 | a4   | b4
| c4

(4 rows)

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Is it This Join Condition Do-Able?

From
"Dmitri Bichko"
How about:

SELECT a.keyfld, a.foo1, b.foo2, c.foo3
FROM a
LEFT JOIN b USING(keyfld)
LEFT JOIN c USING(keyfld)

Dmitri

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidentialand/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
actionin reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
receivedthis in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer

Re: Is it This Join Condition Do-Able?

From
Jeremy Semeiks
Date:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:54:50PM -0400, Lane Van Ingen wrote:
> Given three tables: a, b, c ; each consist of a 'keyfld' and a field called
> 'foo':
>      tbl a       tbl b         tbl c
>    ---------   ---------     ---------
>    a.keyfld    b.keyfld       c.keyfld
>    a.foo1      b.foo2         c.foo3
>
> I want to always return all of tbl a; and I want to return b.foo2 and c.foo3
> if
> they can be joined to based on keyfld.a; I know that it will involve a LEFT
> OUTER
> JOIN on table a, but have not seen any examples of joins like this on 3 or
> more
> tables.
>
> select a.keyfld, a.foo1, b.foo2, c.foo3
> from a, b, c
> where a.keyfld = <some value>
> and   a.keyfld = b.keyfld
> and   a.keyfld = c.keyfld;
>
> Results could look like this:
>   a.keyfld  a.foo1   b.foo2  c.foo3
>     xxxx     xxxx     xxxx    (null)
>     xxxx     xxxx    (null)    xxxx
>     xxxx     xxxx    (null)   (null)
>     xxxx     xxxx     xxxx     xxxx

Just use two left joins:

select a.keyfld, a.foo1, b.foo2, c.foo3
from a
left join b on a.keyfld = b.keyfld
left join c on a.keyfld = c.keyfld
where a.keyfld = <some value>;

HTH,
Jeremy

Re: Is it This Join Condition Do-Able?

From
"Dmitri Bichko"
Date:
I don't see what the problem is.

Did you mean to insert (3,'C3') into table c, rather than b?

Dmitri

Date:
Quoting Dmitri Bichko <dbichko@aveopharma.com>:

> How about:
>
> SELECT a.keyfld, a.foo1, b.foo2, c.foo3
> FROM a
> LEFT JOIN b USING(keyfld)
> LEFT JOIN c USING(keyfld)

((( See response at end )))

Date:
Mischa Sandberg <mischa.sandberg@telus.net> writes:
> Anyone care to comment on the third row of output?

I think you mistyped the last INSERT:

> insert into c values(2, 'C2');
> insert into b values(3, 'C3');

I suppose you meant insert into c ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Is it This Join Condition Do-Able? Ooh, ouch, blush

From
Mischa Sandberg
Date:
The Subject says it all. (author beats a hasty retreat).