Re: Is it This Join Condition Do-Able? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mischa Sandberg
Subject Re: Is it This Join Condition Do-Able?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Quoting Dmitri Bichko <dbichko@aveopharma.com>:

> How about:
>
> SELECT a.keyfld, a.foo1, b.foo2, c.foo3
> FROM a
> LEFT JOIN b USING(keyfld)
> LEFT JOIN c USING(keyfld)

((( See response at end )))

Having a bit of uncertainty of how LEFT JOIN associates, I tried the
following test (psql -qe), with (to me) highly surprising results.
Anyone care to comment on the third row of output?

select version();                                     version
PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.3.3
(SuSE Linux)

create temp table a(keyf int, val text);
create temp table b(keyf int, val text);
create temp table c(keyf int, val text);
insert into a values(1, 'A1');
insert into a values(2, 'A2');
insert into a values(3, 'A3');
insert into a values(4, 'A4');
insert into b values(1, 'B1');
insert into b values(2, 'B2');
insert into c values(2, 'C2');
insert into b values(3, 'C3');
select keyf, a.val as aval,       coalesce(b.val,'Bxx') as bval,       coalesce(c.val,'Cxx') as cval
from a left join b using(keyf) left join c using (keyf);
keyf aval bval cval
---- ---- ---- ----  1 A1   B1   Cxx  2 A2   B2   C2  3 A3   C3   Cxx  4 A4   Bxx  Cxx