hardware mod based on feedback from the list

From
"Joel Fradkin"
Date:
Thanks so much to everyone who jumped in both on a config and now the
hardware side of things.

I did modify my order on the new equipment to include a powervault 220 (just
a bunch of drives)

I added a controller card and 4 10 k drives for data raid 10 and 2 15 k
drives raid 1 for WAL. I will use the array (internal to the 6650) that the
OS is on for the syslog.

I was told the Xeon processors will do fine up to 64gig. I realize the 64bit
chips may be faster, but it is also new and I feel safer with existing
technologies and hardware vendors.

My understanding is that CPU (4 Xeon 3gig processors) will not be a issue,
but hopefully adding the additional drive systems will help the most for IO
is what I am told is the big issue and hopefully utilizing the
recommendation will help minimize the bottleneck.

Joel Fradkin

Re: hardware mod based on feedback from the list

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Joel Fradkin wrote:

> I was told the Xeon processors will do fine up to 64gig. I realize the 64bit
> chips may be faster, but it is also new and I feel safer with existing
> technologies and hardware vendors.
>
> My understanding is that CPU (4 Xeon 3gig processors) will not be a issue,
> but hopefully adding the additional drive systems will help the most for IO
> is what I am told is the big issue and hopefully utilizing the
> recommendation will help minimize the bottleneck.

I believe there may well be an issue with multiple Xeon's - check the
mailing list archives for details.

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: hardware mod based on feedback from the list

From
"Keith Worthington"
Date:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:11:55 +0000, Richard Huxton wrote
> > Joel Fradkin wrote:
> >
> > I was told the Xeon processors will do fine up to 64gig. I
> > realize the 64bit chips may be faster, but it is also new
> > and I feel safer with existing technologies and hardware
> > vendors.
> >
> > My understanding is that CPU (4 Xeon 3gig processors) will
> > not be a issue, but hopefully adding the additional drive
> > systems will help the most for IO is what I am told is the
> > big issue and hopefully utilizing the recommendation will
> > help minimize the bottleneck.
>
> I believe there may well be an issue with multiple Xeon's - check
> the mailing list archives for details.
>
> --
>    Richard Huxton
>    Archonet Ltd

Joel,

I am currently running PostgreSQL v8.0.0 using RedHat Enterprise Linux v3 on a
Dell with '2 PROCESSOR, 80532K, 2.8GHZ, 512K, 533, DECISION ONE'.

So far so good. :-)

Kind Regards,
Keith