Re: hardware mod based on feedback from the list - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Keith Worthington
Subject Re: hardware mod based on feedback from the list
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:11:55 +0000, Richard Huxton wrote
> > Joel Fradkin wrote:
> >
> > I was told the Xeon processors will do fine up to 64gig. I
> > realize the 64bit chips may be faster, but it is also new
> > and I feel safer with existing technologies and hardware
> > vendors.
> >
> > My understanding is that CPU (4 Xeon 3gig processors) will
> > not be a issue, but hopefully adding the additional drive
> > systems will help the most for IO is what I am told is the
> > big issue and hopefully utilizing the recommendation will
> > help minimize the bottleneck.
>
> I believe there may well be an issue with multiple Xeon's - check
> the mailing list archives for details.
>
> --
>    Richard Huxton
>    Archonet Ltd

Joel,

I am currently running PostgreSQL v8.0.0 using RedHat Enterprise Linux v3 on a
Dell with '2 PROCESSOR, 80532K, 2.8GHZ, 512K, 533, DECISION ONE'.

So far so good. :-)

Kind Regards,
Keith