Crypt() encryption

From
"Christina Zhang"
Date:
Hello,

We are planning to use Crypt() to encrypt the application level users' passwords.  Our question is that which
encryptionmethod the Crypt() is using? (DES, or some other encryption algorithms?) Because we concern about the strenth
ofthe Crypt().

Thanks for your input.

Christina

Re: Crypt() encryption

Date:
Christina Zhang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are planning to use Crypt() to encrypt the application level
> users' passwords.  Our question is that which encryption method
> the Crypt() is using? (DES, or some other encryption algorithms?)
> Because we concern about the strenth of the Crypt().

Use MD5.  That is the best method for this.  There is an md5() function
already in the database, and there is /contrib/pgcrypto.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073