Re: Crypt() encryption - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Crypt() encryption
Date
List pgsql-sql
Christina Zhang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are planning to use Crypt() to encrypt the application level
> users' passwords.  Our question is that which encryption method
> the Crypt() is using? (DES, or some other encryption algorithms?)
> Because we concern about the strenth of the Crypt().

Use MD5.  That is the best method for this.  There is an md5() function
already in the database, and there is /contrib/pgcrypto.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073