MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
Jomon Skariah
Date:
Hi,

We are in the process of migrating of our application from Oracle to
PostGreSQL.

we are  facing a few problems with PL/SQL Code..

1)     Do we have a replacement in PostGres for MINUS operator of Oracle .
2    Also I need to find an alternative for ROWNUM in oracle..

Can anyone help ..

Regards

Jomon

Re: MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> 1)     Do we have a replacement in PostGres for MINUS operator of Oracle .

I believe MINUS is non-standard word for EXCEPT, correct?
> 2    Also I need to find an alternative for ROWNUM in oracle..

If you are looking for a unique identifier, try using the OID.

Re: MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 09:44, Jomon Skariah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we have any replacement for REPLACE() of Oracle in PostGres?

What does replace() do?  String replacement?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/functions-string.html

replace(string text, from text, to text)

Re: MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> The problem is we are using PostGres 7.1.In this version REPLACE() is not
> available.

It sounded like you were just starting to work on the change over.  I
highly suggest upgrading to 7.3 at the very least, 7.4 if you're going
to be a few months prior to going to production. A ton of good work has
been put into PostgreSQL in the last couple of years.

Anyway, you'll need to write your own replace() if you stick with that
release.

Re: MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Rod Taylor wrote:

> > 2    Also I need to find an alternative for ROWNUM in oracle..
>
> If you are looking for a unique identifier, try using the OID.

ROWID is oracle's unique identifier, ROWNUM is the row number in a query
result.  In the past it has been suggested that ROWNUM could be replaced
by the nextval of a temporary sequence.

Kris Jurka

Re: MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
Jomon Skariah

Do we have any replacement for REPLACE() of Oracle in PostGres?

I know we can function to do same job.

Regards

Jomon

> > 2    Also I need to find an alternative for ROWNUM in oracle..
>
> If you are looking for a unique identifier, try using the OID.

ROWID is oracle's unique identifier, ROWNUM is the row number in a query
result.  In the past it has been suggested that ROWNUM could be replaced
by the nextval of a temporary sequence.

Kris Jurka

Re: MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
Jomon Skariah

Thanx for your reply.

The problem is we are using PostGres 7.1.In this version REPLACE() is not
available.

Regards

Jomon

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 09:44, Jomon Skariah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we have any replacement for REPLACE() of Oracle in PostGres?

What does replace() do?  String replacement?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/functions-string.html

replace(string text, from text, to text)

Re: MINUS & ROWNUM in PostGres

From
"A.Bhuvaneswaran"
Date:
> Anyway, you'll need to write your own replace() if you stick with that
> release.

You can use this replace function, if you stick with that release.

regards,
bhuvaneswaran