Sequence not updated after a copy ?

From
"GRIMOIS Eric"
Date:
Hi All

Does 'COPY table FROM...' command update the last_value field of the
sequence(s) related to the table ?
Is a setval( ) function required after completion ? In this case, what's the
best command for doing that ?

Thanks

Eric GRIMOIS
Analyste programmeur
SEI - CPAM du Val d'Oise
01.34.22.24.56

Re: Sequence not updated after a copy ?

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 17:21, GRIMOIS Eric wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does 'COPY table FROM...' command update the last_value field of the
> sequence(s) related to the table ?

No

> Is a setval( ) function required after completion ? In this case, what's the
> best command for doing that ?

SELECT setval('sequence_name',             (SELECT MAX(column_name)                FROM table_name)            );

    "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not      sin against thee."        Psalms 119:11

Re: Sequence not updated after a copy ?

From
Jeff Eckermann
Date:
--- GRIMOIS Eric
<eric.grimois@cpam-cergypontoise.cnamts.fr> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does 'COPY table FROM...' command update the
> last_value field of the
> sequence(s) related to the table ?

No.  I assume you have specified values in your source
file that take the place of the sequence-supplied
values, otherwise the COPY operation would almost
certainly fail.

> Is a setval( ) function required after completion ?

Yes: preferably before, if you want the sequence to be
available to other users while you are doing the
import.

> In this case, what's the
> best command for doing that ?

I can't find the reference in the docs just now, but I
believe it's:
SELECT setval ('sequence_name', new_value);