Re: Sequence not updated after a copy ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Sequence not updated after a copy ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
--- GRIMOIS Eric
<eric.grimois@cpam-cergypontoise.cnamts.fr> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does 'COPY table FROM...' command update the
> last_value field of the
> sequence(s) related to the table ?

No.  I assume you have specified values in your source
file that take the place of the sequence-supplied
values, otherwise the COPY operation would almost
certainly fail.

> Is a setval( ) function required after completion ?

Yes: preferably before, if you want the sequence to be
available to other users while you are doing the
import.

> In this case, what's the
> best command for doing that ?

I can't find the reference in the docs just now, but I
believe it's:
SELECT setval ('sequence_name', new_value);